Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak chemicals -- now what??

Kodak chemicals -- now what??

I've been using Rapid Fixer since I developed my first roll of film back around 1970. So I know the product.

This evening I reached for my mixed jug of it. It has been about 11 months and it had finally developed precipitate so I dumped it. This batch had a decent life span; nothing out of the ordinary for me.

Opened a new box of the concentrate. I bought this June 2021 from Freestyle. The bottle was filled with milky yellowish precipitate. I opened my back up box, purchased the same day. Same thing -- useless. I have kept the concentrate new in the box for years before. 3 to 4 years? No problem. Now this. What gives? This stuff isn't cheap.

Re: Kodak chemicals -- now what??

Might be a good time to switch to TF-5, a very nice working "odorless" fixer. I've kept the concentrate around for well over a year and it still seems clear and has no issues. Mix with distilled water and with decent ventilation you won't really smell it.

I now use TF-5 exclusively.

I use TF-4 and Ilford rapid fixer. Both work fine.

David

multiplex

you folks don't get that reek with T4 and 5? I tried to join the chuckwagon years ago when I first read everyone's love-posts and that it was "odorless" but it reeked of ammonia so much I had to get rid of it. I use sprint and have pretty exclusively since 1980 ( its local and easy for me to get, now sold through their website ) .. and it doesn't smell at all ...

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    you folks don't get that reek with T4 and 5? I tried to join the chuckwagon years ago when I first read everyone's love-posts and that it was "odorless" but it reeked of ammonia so much I had to get rid of it. I use sprint and have pretty exclusively since 1980 ( its local and easy for me to get, now sold through their website ) .. and it doesn't smell at all ...
    C-41 fix is the best of the lot - essentially odourless (near neutral pH) and ultra efficient.

TF4 is NOT TF5

TF5 must use 'pure' Distilled water

I have a one gallon sealed test bottle of TF5, now 7 years old stored in shed that moves from 110 F to -20

Still clear as a bell

I believe in Photo Engineer

RIP
    Tin Can

Alkaline rapid fixers such as TF-4 will have the ammonia smell depending on how alkaline. Neutral pH fixers should have relatively little odour. TF-5 is an example. You’re fine with Sprint. C-41 as mentioned by interneg is also near neutral. Ilford Rapid Fix is mildly acidic so not odourless, but perfectly good.

Generally speaking, an acidic fixer such as the Kodak product mentioned by OP will have a shorter shelf life. The yellowish sludge OP saw is from sulfurization which happens over time.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post

Sulfurization/precipitation in rapid type fixers tend to happen in stock solutions over time... Mixing & storing at working strength extends them for very extended life...

If stock is new and bad, send it right back...

Steve K

I'm a TF5 convert and my current stock is about 3 years old and near the bottom of the gallon jug. I use it mainly for fixing Pyro-M negatives. - But there is also good ole plain hypo crystals so you can make a fresh batch each session. When I visit the local camera store I always buy a couple liters of Ilford Rapid Fix too which I tend to use for Fiber papers. TF4 has its uses for Alt printing too and can create different color shifts than hypo.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography