Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arca swiss 6x9 for architecture photography

Arca swiss 6x9 for architecture photography

Many Thanks everybody!

Kirk Gittings, Very nice work in your website. I never heard about Copal Press shuttters before.
    (For press camera?)

gps, How did you made your own bag bellow?

Leonard Evens, If 65 isn't enough I'll go for 58XL instead.

dg , Thanks for tripod head suggestion.I've a geared manfrotto 405 (very precise but a little too
    heavy) I'm considering ARCA B1 Ballhead. Any idea about using ballhead for architecture
    photography?

Lars Vinberg, I'm not sure about "wooden camera",but I'll take a look.

Emmanuel Bigler, I think I'll get "Dynamix orbix".I live in Thailand ,we don't have winter Only
    problem we got : camera became too hot to touch under daylight!
    binocular viewfinder sounds very good.

Neil Poulsen, very tough choice indeed between 4X5 and 6X9. currently I don't own a4X5
    What's driving me towards 6x9? : Frankly,Weight and bulk. Did 6X9 camera have serious
    problem about internal flare? Can you please describe your setting in 4X5?
    (Spring loaded back&sinar zoom looks nice though.)
    I don't want to deal with sheet film due to high cost (Local price:about 2.5$+1.5$processing per
    sheet VS 3$+1$processing per roll( Kodak EPC 120 ))
    My Nikon D200 already surpass my hasselblad at least in some aspect.

Frank Petronio, For me 16 MP is really enough(Looking for price around 4000$ in 2-3 years)Is it
    wise to invest in "digital" lense?and I don't think it's have enough image circle needed for
    movements in 6X9 especially when shooting architecture.

Again, Thanks for your help! and apologize for my english.

Wood cameras can be flimsy, sure. Not the Ebony SW series, it's as tight as my metal monorails. Its construction is quite different from folding wood cameras, it's much faster to work with, and a lot lighter at 3 lbs / 1.3 kgs.

The Schneider Digitar 120 is an excellent choice for MF architecture, as it covers 4x5 and up to 6x17. For 6x17 I use the Schneider III center filter with good results. Resolution is of course not an issue with this lens.

How did I make it? I was lucky to buy used and badly damaged normal belows for 6x9 Arca. So I cut off the middle to keep the frames with just 1 cm of the bellows and I glued to it bag bellows made of thin black leather (remember the black leather pants fashion?). It's bigger (oversized) than the wide angle bellows from Arca and it has just two pleats. Very flexible and serves well.

keng,

yes press shutters were original designed for press cameras, self cocking shutters made the quicker to use. For architectural photo though the give you the ability to do multiple "pops" without any camera movement and multipying your flash power.

For instance we use 4 2000 watt and three 800 watt powerpacks and 10 heads. Somtimes that is not enough light to get a small aperture, ie decent depth of field. So we do multiple exposures to build the flash power. We have done as many as 16 pops giving us like 200,0009(?) watts of light (I suck at math). Or sometimes we try and travel light with just three powerpacks and 6 heads.

You used to be able to purchase new Schneiders from Lens and Repro (special order) delivered with copal press shutters. I prefer Prontors but they are all but gone. SK Grimes can fit Copals to your older lenses.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Keng, You can do multiple "pops" of a flash with any shutter set to the "T" setting. However the ambient light will build up during the time it takes to make the flashes.

With a press shutter - or by very carefully recocking the shutter on a conventional shutter - you can shoot at a fast shutter speed like 1/60th. Six pops would only total 1/10th of a second.

The idea is to expose for ambient and flash seperately and juggle the balance of the two light sources.