Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Technika — are Infinity Stops only for use with the Rangefinder?

Linhof Technika — are Infinity Stops only for use with the Rangefinder?

The Super Technika V I recently acquired has 4 sets of infinity stops on the focus rail.

I'm not sure how to use / adjust them.

It also has distance scales for 3 focal lengths [How these work is also not obvious to me at this point.]

I plan on using this camera mainly with a 90 & 135mm lens — can I use the infinity stops without also using the rangefinder? [I'm thinking they would be useful in low light.]

If anyone could point me to documentation or a web page with information on setting up and using these features I'd be grateful.

Re: Linhof Technika — are Infinity Stops only for use with the Rangefinder?

Infinity stops are useful for landscape/distance photos...they allow quicker setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    Infinity stops are useful for landscape/distance photos...they allow quicker setup.
    Thanks. That's what I'd guessed. [Information on how to set up & use them sems to be thin on the ground for some reason.]

I have no experience with Linhofs, but I have used the infinity stops on my Speed Graphics.
    My methodology is:
    Set up the camera with the lens.
    Open aperture to maximum, shutter open on T.
    Focus the camera, using the ground glass, on something Very Far Away.
    Adjust infinity stops on the rail so that they touch the front standard, and tighten down gently.
    Speed Graphics use pointed screws that leave divots in the yoke (rail), not sure if Linhofs do the same....
    I then mark on the yoke with fine tip Sharpie what lens that pair of infinity stops is for.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Dugan; 22-Jul-2022 at 11:29. Reason: More cowbell

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    I have no experience with Linhofs, but I have used the infinity stops on my Speed Graphics.
    My methodology is:
    Set up the camera with the lens.
    Open aperture to maximum, shutter open on T.
    Focus the camera, using the ground glass, on something Very Far Away.
    Adjust infinity stops on the rail so that they touch the front standard, and tighten down gently.
    Speed Graphics use pointed screws that leave divots in the yoke (rail), not sure if Linhofs do the same....
    I then mark on the yoke with fine tip Sharpie what lens that pair of infinity stops is for.
    Hope this helps.
    Great. Thanks. I'll give that a try. I'm not sure if the existing stops have put divots inthe rail or not. I'll see when I move them I suppose.

Each pair of infinity stops are for a specific focal length lens as is each focusing scale. Your infinity stops should be color coded to indicate which lens they are for. If you no longer have the original focus cam by serial number for your lens then a service center should reposition the infinity stops for the lens you do have.

I have had several Linhof Technikas 4x5 and 6x9 since the early 1970's and only once did I use the rangefinder. The rest of the time the camera was on a tripod. When I got a new lens (usually second hand) I would take the camera/lens outside and focus on a distant tree or building. When it snapped into focus that was where the infinity stops were screwed down. As Bob says it is good to have different spots of color corresponding to the lens (also with a "spot" of the same color). I have had as many as 5 sets on the 4x5. The scales can be useful for judging depth of field and setting hyperfocal distances, although there usually is not enough room for more than 3 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by linhofbiker View Post
    I have had several Linhof Technikas 4x5 and 6x9 since the early 1970's and only once did I use the rangefinder. The rest of the time the camera was on a tripod. When I got a new lens (usually second hand) I would take the camera/lens outside and focus on a distant tree or building. When it snapped into focus that was where the infinity stops were screwed down. As Bob says it is good to have different spots of color corresponding to the lens (also with a "spot" of the same color). I have had as many as 5 sets on the 4x5. The scales can be useful for judging depth of field and setting hyperfocal distances, although there usually is not enough room for more than 3 of them.
    You can have as many focusing scales as you want. 3 of them fit on the holder and the holders slide on and off to interchange them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You can have as many focusing scales as you want. 3 of them fit on the holder and the holders slide on and off to interchange them.
    Thanks Bob. It has 3 scales fitted at the moment - 75, 135 & 250. I haven't investigated how to remove / fit them yet. If they just slide on then so much the better.

Quote Originally Posted by linhofbiker View Post
    Thanks. I can't see me using the rangefinder much either. When I had large-format cameras before, I used the ground glass to focus and it wasn't a problem. I think this Technika has 5 sets of infinity stops, though I'll probably only use one or two of them.