Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is there work arounds for missing retaining rings?

Re: is there work arounds for missing retaining rings?

My approach for this has always been to have two points of contact with whatever retaining system I could cobble together. Using a rubber ring with a worm gear clamp (or even just a cable tie) works very well for the rear. For the front, fender washers positioned and secured with screws so they contact the lens just as it make contact with the lensboard often works. You'll notice a lot of lens have a small inner ring that makes this possible sometimes. If you don't mind the looks you could also clamp something to the front ring of the lens and secure it to the lens board with some steel cabling (bicycle brake cable?). Be creative and use what you have on hand basically.

PVC with an inside diameter slightly smaller than the diameter of the threads will work. I have made dozens by just screwing the lens into the pipe. Sometimes it is necessary to use coarse sandpiper to slightly increase the inner diameter. If you go too far, just cut that off and begin again.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Not worth it to do that for the lens in question, but it would still be nice to allow these lenses to be usable..
    they have some (flanges) on hand in in stock can't remember what. brand and what lens/shutter but they have ( had ) them.. pre made and to sell.. I'm cheep and use a foam core friction mount

Copy-paste from a reply I made for a similar question on another forum:

Ask them: https://customphototools.com/ I have no affiliation whatsoever. Just a past customer for adapter ring at very reasonable price. They have catalog items but I believe they can also make custom parts. You must be SURE of the diameter and pitch when you order.

Example:
    Threaded retaining ring for large-format #00 lens shutters with 25mm x 0.5 thread
    for Compur 00 lens shutters made to fit #00 drilled lensboards with 26.3mm diameter hole
    EUR 10.00

I recently mounted a plastic lens with Hot Melt

Many reasons
    Tin Can

tc the hot glue trick is great for nice quick fix jobs.

i see rings listed here...

.https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppag...tgroup_id=1535

and

https://picclick.ca/Retaining-Ring-C...980998203.html

I used a ring but had special purpose

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    tc the hot glue trick is great for nice quick fix jobs.

i see rings listed here...

.https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppag...tgroup_id=1535

and

https://picclick.ca/Retaining-Ring-C...980998203.html
    Tin Can

If you can get car repair/filler paste (typical brandname, Isopon) then lightly wipe the lens thread with an oily cloth, put the lens through the mounting board in the required orientation, pile up a bit of paste around as much of the protruding thread as you can, and keep the paste off the rest of the lens(!). Wait until the paste is 'green' (partially set) and unscrew the lens. When the paste is set hard you will have a threaded fitting at the back of the lens board which can then be mounted and unmounted as required with no damage. It will be difficult to get the repair paste off the back of the lensboard though, in case you want to re-purpose it later.

Mitch

I just mounted a lens on a wood lens board this morning. Works perfectly! I used a table-mounted router to round out the hole. Then screwed it into the hole>

If the lens isn't super heavy, cut a piece of thick matt board and make a hole slightly smaller than the lens threads. Paint it black and screw it on like a retaining ring.