Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First experiences with new Arca Swiss F-Line Field

First experiences with new Arca Swiss F-Line Field

Julian,

Experience with my Arca's (F, F-metric and M) and other cameras i have handled at dealers/trade shows was that their operation was consistent between cameras. About the only difference was in the geared movements (some being a little stiffer than others).

All new cameras need a little break-in and this may help with yours. Some owners need a little break-in period also :=) . Without seeing your camera, I cannot say whether fit, finish and build quality are consistent with other Arca cameras.

You said you purchased the camera from Robert White in the UK. I have no experience with them but I would bet they are one of the largest Arca dealers in the world and are fully knowledgeable about the camera. Talk to them.

First aof all, use the camera for a few days. What is stiff can give way after some use as the lubrication gets to the right place. I agree with Peter about your hasty reaction.

Dear Julian,
    I have been using Arca's F-metric 4X5 (171mm) for almost 2 years now. I recently added an 8X10 conversion set. I can't comment on the following: 1. shift clamp, 2. rise/fall, 3. method of attaching the back to the camera, as my camera uses different mechanisms/geared controls. I have to state first that there is no 'play' or wobble about the zero detent in my camera, even with the huge 8X10 standard attached to the function carrier. Focusing requires the application of SOME torque to the focusing knob, but not enough to call it stiff. It certainly does not glide! I would be worried if it did! Focusing seems to be dependent on the rail for some reason, turning the knob becomes stiffer, or less so, depending on the rail. It also depends on the plastic rail guides found under the function carriers, as you astutely observed. I was quite worried myself when I saw these. I am pleased to report, however, that in almost 2 years of constant use, focusing remains the same and I do not see any visible wear. Bad news for you, I guess: the camera may not loosen up with time. Also, at least on my camera, it is not necessary to push the tilt-control lever all the way up to unlock the mechanism.

It can be argued, that the number of quirks, imperfections, or idiosyncracies one is willing to overlook in a camera is inversely proportional to the price you paid for it. As such, I can understand your consternation concerning your expensive Arca. I have been informed by a friend that the Linhof Technikardan has controls and movements that 'glide' and that the camera is exquisitely engineered. Nevertheless, there are quite a few photographers who hate the Linhof for other reasons. No free lunch!

Having had an Arca with a stiff back tilt... I can tell you that it won't loosen up much on its own over several years of use... they are well built! So still best to talk with Robert White and/or Martin at Arca.

Glenn

"Shouldn't you be discussing your problems, etc., with the dealer you bought the camera from instead of airing them out in a forum? "

Disagree - it's a "forum" - it's just what its for (though talk to the dealer by all means of course) - it's a bunch of (mainly) guys without lives sitting around bullshitting about cameras and photography. You post your concerns her and either get a - "yep, I've found exactly the same" or "well, it all settles down after a bit, you just have to get used to it and put up with the idiosyncrasies" or "nope - none of us have ever heard of that at all - must have got a Friday afternoon job - send it back"

It's probably even more appropriate considering the manufacturer has no website info and produces basically zero printed or promotional/brochure info (to even get an idea of how to put the thing together). Nice cameras as they can be.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Julian,

Rory makes a good point regarding the functionality of controls on an Arca versus some other makes. I would not describe my Arca cameras as having "silky smooth" controls. I would just say that they have a consistent feel, that for me, translates to not having to "think" about controls when using the camera. Operation is intuitive.

There are other makes that (Sinar and Linhof for example) that have more precise and smooth controls.

The Arca system uses easily replaceable parts (such as the plastic guides in the function carriers). I believe plastic is used to minimize wear of more expensive metal parts. Replacement of the worn plastic part returns system to near new condition in regards to functionality. I have function standards and carriers that are over 20-years old. I had them serviced and they work like new.

Well, Tim has voiced what my subconscious has always known but I would never admit openly to myself for fear of eliciting an episode of Major Depression. "Guys without lives". Thank you, thank you. I see Prozac is sold via the internet now....

I think most of us have lives, and quite a few have pretty interesting lives... its just that most of us don't have the life we want... that of the independently wealthy full time amateur art photographer... so we dream and post and listen to the chorus:

He's a photgrapher and he's OK, he sleeps all night and he shoots all day

Glenn

Julian,

Your experience with the Arca seems very rare compared to those I know, and those who contribute to this forum who own the very same camera.

I suspect you got a dud, and you should send it back.
    I have had a similar experience with another brand new camera (different manufacturer) I purchased many years ago. It wasn't a dud, but I found it very difficult to work with, back it went.

For me, this is an absolutely wonderful camera. Of course, there are many many great cameras out there, you should try as many as possible before deciding on another.

You might post another question, or survey this group to find out what is their all-time favorite camera.

-Brad

Doug Dolde

I have a Field but bought it used and broken in. It works very well with none of the problems you mention. I have used many 4x5 cameras including Ebony and find the Arca Swiss the best at least to my liking.