Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Technika V - Ground Glass is Dim.

Linhof Technika V - Ground Glass is Dim.

I recently acquired a 1972 year model Technika V.

I'm finding the ground glass to be pretty dim.

Are more recent Technika ground glasses brighter?

Would I be able to fit one myself?

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Linhof Technika V - Ground Glass is Dim.

The current one is much brighter and is easy to fit.

Great. Thanks Bob.

Is see Linhof & Studio has these in stock. Since you ask for advice, here's my thoughts for what they are worth: There are two styles, one is "multi-format"; in addition to a grid of 1 cm squares it has outlines for 6 x 7, 6 x 9 and 6 x 12 cm. If you think you might use any of those three formats in addition to 4 x 5 then I expect you would want that one. I don't use any of those three formats and personally find their presence makes the ground glass a bit "busy." So I like the simpler version that just has the 1 cm grid.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    Is see Linhof & Studio has these in stock. Since you ask for advice, here's my thoughts for what they are worth: There are two styles, one is "multi-format"; in addition to a grid of 1 cm squares it has outlines for 6 x 7, 6 x 9 and 6 x 12 cm. If you think you might use any of those three formats in addition to 4 x 5 then I expect you would want that one. I don't use any of those three formats and personally find their presence makes the ground glass a bit "busy." So I like the simpler version that just has the 1 cm grid.

David
    Thanks David. The markings on the ground glass are something I was thinking about: I like as few markings as possible so I'll probaby go for the simple grid. [6x12 interests me but if I ever get a 6x12 back I can always get the correct glass for it — they're not hugely expensive.]

Try washing the GG

Most are filthy and dim

Grind does make a difference, my 1950's OE studio 4X5 Linhof has very coarse grind

but it has uses too
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Try washing the GG

Most are filthy and dim

Grind does make a difference, my 1950's OE studio 4X5 Linhof has very coarse grind

but it has uses too
    Thanks. Hadn't thought of that. I bought a new glass from Linhof. I believe it should improve things quite a bit.

Whatever you try, carefully note the orientation of GG + fresnel surfaces as you remove the old to make sure they are reassembled correctly, or a focusing error can be introduced...

If you wash GG, it will wash off lines on it, but I just draw in new ones with a hard lead pencil + drawing/measuring instruments...

Steve K

Years ago the GG on my 11x14 Burke & James view camera was also "dim". Took the GG out and very, very lightly scrubbed it with a very soft brush in a diluted Ivory soap solution. Rinsed it several times under the tap, and then finally a few times with distilled water. Dried it slowly using a hand held drier. I swear after doing this, the GG was X2 times brighter. Used the same posted procedure for cleaning a front surfaced telescope's mirror... Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Whatever you try, carefully note the orientation of GG + fresnel surfaces as you remove the old to make sure they are reassembled correctly, or a focusing error can be introduced...

If you wash GG, it will wash off lines on it, but I just draw in new ones with a hard lead pencil + drawing/measuring instruments...

Steve K
    Okay thanks. I looked at the hardware that secures the glass — 6 screws, a couple of plates and I think some shims. Hopefully fitting the new one won't be too difficult. I may put the old one on eBay to recoup some of the cost of the new one.