Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: "If I wanted to be safe, I would have done Landscapes."

Re: "If I wanted to be safe, I would have done Landscapes."

Yes indeediee, in too many ways.

If poop on the pavement has something to say and offer, giving poop on the pavement a voice is worthy of artistic expression..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Any time I truly follow my heart…thinking nothing of “my audience” or the “acceptance” of others, thinking not even of what might be my own physical/mental limitations - but just allowing myself to become fully enmeshed and engaged in my work…ultimately allowing the “whatever is out there” to align itself with the “whatever is in here,” using whatever medium which happens to best facilitate this process, the tools of which can become transparent and without dimension - my own ego suspended - so that congruence and symmetry between myself and what’s out there can approach (but never quite reach) Perfection…then by default I’m not giving thought to the aspect of risk, and thereby fully accepting the possibility of risk.

Landscape. People. Poop on the pavement…does not matter so long as the above holds true.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I was just referring to safety as in trying to provide income...not necessarily public opinion.
    for some that is the same thing
    IDK I think it's about being in one's comfort zone.. being a public figure, and $$ don't help.
    Last edited by jnantz; 20-Jul-2022 at 16:38.

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    glad you're so amazing to categorically classify people in a whole 3 groups!
    I think everyone is an individual and just maybe it's your responsibility to give them new eyes
    I am, in fact, quite amazing!

Yes, perceptive and correct. The idea for this discussion was much about risk/pushing personal boundaries of artistic expression and the skill-craft of Photography. This is essential to growth, development and learning of the visual arts.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post

My interpretation of her statement is that she believed that it would have been safe, psychologically and financially, for her to continue to make landscape photographs, but that she decided to leave that subject behind and take what was, for her, a risk. Presumably nobody is going to disagree that she took a risk, indeed quite a big risk.

If my interpretation is correct, the subject that you have raised in this thread is quite an interesting one: the role of risk/pushing personal boundaries in development as a photographer.