Thread: Lighter Weight 8x10 Norma

Lighter Weight 8x10 Norma

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

I built this new to me 8x10 Norma (my second one) which I configured from pieces I recently acquired. An F Front Standard, and a Norma 8x10 Rear Standard. A great location combination. I got this idea when my Wife and I went to the Wexner Center at O.S.U. and see Annie Leibovitz's photos on exhibition. This camera was shown in a photo Annie snapped was a wall-sized B&W, of Richard Avedon's equipment closet. I thought it rather strange at the time, an F attached to a Norma. I think it will make a very good field camera. Shown with the 360mm Schneider Symmar in Norma Iris mount, and the Norma Shutter. So a 60's era speedy location camera. I've tested the camera in the studio and it's a winner. I do have 500 sheets of 18x24 Mammo film from France. D23 diluted seems very promising
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Re: Lighter Weight 8x10 Norma

Jeebus christo. Mark that NSFW.

Very nice
    --

Thanks Ericantonio. Not safe for work? I'm hopin' so

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Thanks Ericantonio. Not safe for work? I'm hopin' so
    I used to process AL's negs at Lexington Labs in NYC. It was her personal film, not her commercial work. When it came in, everyone rolled their eyes cause she was a B*. And they said "hey, eric, this is all yours". Every...time.. Ugh.
    She would always have like a dozen different film stocks, with instructions on each one. Like "plus x + 1, pull or some crazy ass instructions" So I couldn't dip/dunk them in a run. I had to do them all manually 1 or 2 or 3 rolls at a time and took up most of my day.
    --

We thought the prints were most impressive.

― Mark Twain

18x24 Mammo Shortie Sawed Off Norma by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is a test shot (my Shorty Norma) French Kodak 18x24cm Mammo Film, processed in D23 1:1. Taking camera is my new Annie/Avedon inspired 8x10 Norma. I applied 30 degrees of front and rear swing, the Norma original recessed lensboard is sharp all the way across the field. I like how the DOF drops off with the 360mm f5.6 Norma Symmar. There appears to be highlight blooming, which I find kind of attractive. Best thing about this film was that it was not at all expensive. And I have a lot of it

My "Shorty Sawed-Off Norma" has a basic rail cut down, to just accomodate a 120mm lens. Here it is shown with the 47mm f8 Super Angulon, which I am looking forward to using a lot with 2x3 and 6x9. This is not a telephoto camera, but I can easily lift and carry it with one hand without strain. The lowly Star-D tripod is sturdy enough with this setup, given proper time to settle down. I cut both ends off a basic Norma rail with my Lil Machine Shop Bandsaw. So it is now simply a hollow tube perfect length for Field and Architecture.

― Mark Twain