Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do y'all record your photo data ?

Re: Where do y'all record your photo data ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    oh I never thought to look here. Huge price difference and can piggyback on another order for that free shipping deal !
    Since I scan my film, I also scan the notebook pages as jpegs associated with the film shots and keep them all together in my computer for future reference. Sometimes I shoot a digital shot for reference and keep it in the folder as well. I;ll even shoot a video clip of the settings and also record my feelings and settings. That too goes into the digital computer folder. The video is nice because I can describe my inner feelings about where I was and what it was about. Sort of like a journal.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    I use a 5.5 x 3.5" inch 120-page Mead Five Star college ruled notebook which is spiral bounded on the long side, so it opens like a book and has water resistant covers. I work in 3 formats: 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 and I number the film holders according to the format. For example, 1-20 for 4x5, 50-59 for 5x7, and 80-89 for 8x10. Under a date headline I list the holders that I have loaded and the film they are loaded with. If I use 2 or more type of film for any format, I indicate those holders in a separate line item. So at a glance I know which holders are loaded and with what film. When out on a shoot I headline the shooting date and then by line item the holder, location, lens, taking aperture, shutter speed, film, filter...whatever I think is important to remember. The important thing is to create an entry for each negative shot so that you know which holder has exposed or unexposed film in it and relist the unused holders in a new list when reloading.

Thomas
    This company makes waterproof notebooks including the pages and have waterproof pens too.
    I have a few. They really work.
    Rite-in-the-Rain
    https://www.riteintherain.com/3x5-to...ook?search=135

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    If you're happy to share it, I'd like to see your spreadsheet.
    I’m happy to share my process, but I don’t want to send my spreadsheet out. It’s fairly straight forward. I use an .xls format so I’m not tied to a specific program or app that may or may not be discontinued in the future. I use OfficeLibre (Open Office) on my computer, and Docs to Go on my phone.

A note about my process. I mostly use one film and developer across all formats. I use parts of the Zone System that are useful to me, but have not done any scientific testing. I’ve tweaked my exposure and development over time based on empirical data from my negatives, and then adjusted my process to get the results that I like. I’m not a pro.

The spreadsheet has been altered and grown over time and contains all the information I find useful and/or interesting. I like having everything in one place.

Basically, there is a separate spreadsheet tab for each process, with the following column headers:

Tab
    -column header

Exposure Log (4x5 ony)
    -negative number (assigned after development)
    -date
    -subject
    -film
    -EI
    -film holder
    -camera
    -lens
    -filter
    -shutter speed
    -aperture
    -zones (i.e. important zone range for subject)
    -development (N, + or -)
    -notes

Print Log (all formats)
    -print date
    -negative subject
    -negative format
    -negative number or frame number if roll film
    -negative date
    -print size
    -paper used
    -filter grade
    -lens used
    -aperture
    -base exposure time
    -notes (crop/burn/dodge)

Developing Info
    -film
    -EI
    -developer and dilution
    -development time @68f
    -notes
    (also lists tray and tank capacities)

Film Reciprocity Information
    (info from datasheets)

Film Holders
    (holders are listed by number along with any issues and/or repairs)

Filter Factors
    (from manufacturer’s info)

Flashbulb Guide Numbers
    (info copied from various boxes)

Guide Number Calculator
    (simple spreadsheet formula)

Lens Formulas for various lenses
    (for my own curiosity)

Copal Shutter Hole Diameters

Foma Paper Numbering Codes

I hope that answers any questions.

Reid
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

I used Rite in the Rain note cards and wallet for a few years:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81siqpWqIIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	229134
    image courtesy of amazon

Then I realized after switching to semi-stand developing for the majority of my work, I pretty much do not need to keep notes.
    I shoot a lot in the same area, same weather and same film and developer. Keeps it simple and I like that.
    If I do need to write notes, I save it on my phone and transpose it on the Print File sheet the film will be stowed in.

Quote Originally Posted by rjbuzzclick View Post
    The spreadsheet has been altered and grown over time and contains all the information I find useful and/or interesting. I like having everything in one place.
    Thanks, useful to see how other people are recording photo data.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

thanks Alan,

Do you find them useful vs just making notes in a regular notebook ? I think I NEED discrete fields cuz I sometimes forget to note stuff and something already formatted will keep me from forgetting.
    They are handy to remind you to write stuff in. However, there are a couple of big sections on each sheet that could be combined.

Just checked on the prices for the Rite-in-the-Rain 4.625"x7" stapled No.311FX notebooks that I use. Lowest Amazon price was a 3 pack for $15. Directly from Rite-in-the-Rain is $15.95 for three...or $6 each. The way I use them I get 8 (plus/minus a couple) images recorded on a page. Cheap, waterproof, usable for a long time, bright yellow so I won't lose it (other colors available but why tempt fate?!)

Looking at some of my older ones with the price tags still on the notebooks...they are all under $4.00 and some under $3.00 in the late 80s.

I used them for the first time when I spent 3 months hitchhiking in NZ with a 4x5 in 1981. (Deardorff Special knock-off). I took one of the 3.25"x4.625" versions "to save weight". Still have it and all the ones since, except one that was stolen with the 5x7 it was with. All my photo work locally, regionally and across the seas are in a pile of these books right next to me. Picking a notebook at random and opening a page, I find myself along Little Lost Man Creek in Redwood National Park on November 1st, 2009...making two 4x10 images on a sheet of 8x10 TMax400 and a sweet little 210mm process lens. Never printed them, in the notebook is "some wind' and it is underlined. Might have been too much.

Nice little photographic diaries of the last four decades. Another random pick brought me to April 14th, 1993 and this image with the 5x7 of two redwoods (PT/pd). One of my favorite images made, and I was backpacking close to these trees last week (with the 4x5). F45 for 32 seconds. Developed in HC-110, Dil.B for 20 minutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two redwoods.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 16-Jul-2022 at 19:37.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Small notebook.

multiplex

I have some photo memo books, but looking for one designed for large format and there's at least one option I see, but shipping is kinda pricey.

How is everyone recording their photo data ? Do you use a notebook designed specifically for photographers or just a regular notebook from Staples or office supply store. I'm getting tired of using a Sharpie on painters tape stuck to the holder.

tia
    freddy
    Hi freddy

I didn't realize we were supposed to be keeping photo data. I don't think I've ever recorded anything like that.
    John

Yes.

Talk about conplexificating nothing into a big deal.

Here’s how it’s done: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6C459B94-F54F-4DAE-9DBE-E1E1AB6CA5E3.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	229153

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Small notebook.