Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Where do y'all record your photo data ?

Re: Where do y'all record your photo data ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    You make a good point. I keep thinking the records can be analyzed so I don't make similar mistakes in future shots. ...)
    I find it even more rewarding to use my notes to repeat my successes...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I’m always experimenting. Knowing what I did when I got something right is sometimes helpful.

I take a photo of the setup with my cell phone. Then it's in my Google map & timeline and if I need to see when/where I took the photo, the cell phone photo exif data has all that. Sort of cloud supercomputer augmented memory of the details of my adventures.
    As so which camera settings I used, it really doesn't matter after I've made my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I take a photo of the setup with my cell phone. Then it's in my Google map & timeline and if I need to see when/where I took the photo, the cell phone photo exif data has all that. Sort of cloud supercomputer augmented memory of the details of my adventures.
    As so which camera settings I used, it really doesn't matter after I've made my choice.
    With Artist's Viewfinder, or an Android equivalent, the photo taken with your phone will even show the same view as the photo made with your camera.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-13 at 10.42.01 PM (1).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	229180
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    With Artist's Viewfinder, or an Android equivalent, the photo taken with your phone will even show the same view as the photo made with your camera.

I use my micro 4/3 zoom camera for that. 4:3 (20:15) is very close to 5:4 (20:16). Plus I know where the zoom on it represents the different LF lenses I use. SO when I zoom I predetermined the lens I need. I also use it as an exposure meter, but that's another story.

This is how accurate the Artist's Viewfinder was with my 4x5 pinhole camera. Better than a handheld optical finder.
    None of the compositions are cropped!

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    This is how accurate the Artist's Viewfinder was with my 4x5 pinhole camera. Better than a handheld optical finder.
    None of the compositions are cropped!
    For me, Artist's Viewfinder was US$30 well spent. I normally have my phone with me anyway, and the app is a great aid regardless of whether I'm scouting around or making more formal plans for a photograph. On site, it can be used to try out focal length options and camera angles, and to make a record of the final composition that comes with useful info like time of day, lat/long co-ordinates and altitude.

If anyone's interested, I started a thread about Artist's Viewfinder and a couple of other apps last August: What Scouting/Planning Apps Are You Using in 2021?

Just want to add that I haven't seen your website before, and really like it.
    Last edited by r.e.; 18-Jul-2022 at 19:30. Reason: Corrected the date
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

For me, Artist's Viewfinder was US$30 well spent. I normally have my phone with me anyway, and the app is a great aid regardless of whether I'm scouting around or making more formal plans for a photograph. On site, it can be used to try out focal length options and camera angles, and to make a record of the final composition that comes with useful info like time of day, lat/long co-ordinates and altitude.

If anyone's interested, I started a thread about Artist's Viewfinder and a couple of other apps last August: What Scouting/Planning Apps Are You Using in 202?

Just want to add that I haven't seen your website before, and really like it.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    I didn't know that writing down the exposure data for the film was that important. I guess it's important of someone is going to do expansion / contraction development but for someone who just sunny 11 every exposure or makes paper negatives via intuition and knowing the light conditions and the paper conditions. ... it's not like the same exact exposure, subject is ever going to happen again. tablet pen paper stylus mental note, sticky note, note ON the negative like an autographic .. whatever flicks your bick. I make coptic stitched and pamphlet stitched booklets to jot things down in but it's just the performance of jotting it down I never read any of my notes afterwards, seeing it ends up me writing flaming globes of Sigmund
    Your memory can be fooled by current perceptions, while a historical note tells you the truth. Ask someone about their most commonly used lens and they will tell you the one they use the most recently vs over a long span of time. And try to remember which holder in a pile has FP4 vs HP5. And what about experimentation - when you switch from f45 for every shot to using f16 to limit depth of field did you see a drastic change, and will you remember it 5 years from now? There are a myriad of reasons to take notes on ones photographic journey in the field or darkroom.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

It also depends on ones personal drive to improve. No sense taking notes if one is not intense about getting better at what one does.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China