Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Wales, UK

Hi from Wales, UK

I've been a member of this forum for a while but have not interacted very much, so thought I'd say a hello from Wales in the UK.

I bought a full system based around the MPP Mark 8 a couple of years ago to learn on and probably managed to get a few outings in before a) becoming the father of twins and b) a global pandemic swept the planet. My time for any kind of long slow photogprahy fell away during that period unsuprisingly, but now that things have calmed down a bit, my mind has turned back towards shooting LF. My plan is to get myself an Intrepid black edition 4x5 camera for landscapes shortly (lightweight=good in my mind) , and to use the MPP for wet plate portraits from home. How realistic this is I have no idea, but it'll be fun finidng out i'm sure.

Anyway, that's me, hello, hope to be around here more actively now to absorb the information available. Cheers.

Re: Hi from Wales, UK

Welcome!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Excellent, I'm not sure who would or wouldn't be considered a proper Welshman in your eyes, but LFPF member "Meekyman" has done a great job in Snowdonia recently. FWIW, I'm an American, but have kicked around in the Marches (Welshpool, Abergavenny) enough to know y'all live in a beautiful part of the world.

My grandparents on my mothers side immigrated from Wales, he was a coal miner and when they arrived they were slated to go to Kentucky Coal area but once my Grandmother saw Ontario she put her food down
    and they stayed here in Toronto.

Welcome! I am English and have 2 younger brothers. The elder of the two is married to a wonderful Welsh lady and they live in Cardiff. Liz speaks the official language of Welsh, but we English have not been able to master the language and remain mono-lingual. I tried to learn/speak French when living in Montreal but was hopeless at it.

I am 78 and have visited Cardiff many times over the years. I had a 4x5 Linhof and tripod that I would use (very slowly). My kids would say that they have at least 30 minutes to kill while dad sets up for a shot. I am not always that slow - with digital I once shot 850 images at a car show with my Sony A850.

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Excellent, I'm not sure who would or wouldn't be considered a proper Welshman in your eyes, but LFPF member "Meekyman" has done a great job in Snowdonia recently. FWIW, I'm an American, but have kicked around in the Marches (Welshpool, Abergavenny) enough to know y'all live in a beautiful part of the world.
    I don't know what a proper Welshman would be if i'm honest. I tend to think we're a melting pot, equal parts the best and worse of humanity much like everyone else I know the Marches well, half my family from there a few generations back. Will be sure to check out 'Meekyman', thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    My grandparents on my mothers side immigrated from Wales, he was a coal miner and when they arrived they were slated to go to Kentucky Coal area but once my Grandmother saw Ontario she put her food down
    and they stayed here in Toronto.
    Amazing, the power of the Welsh grandmother should never be underestimated

Quote Originally Posted by linhofbiker View Post
    Welcome! I am English and have 2 younger brothers. The elder of the two is married to a wonderful Welsh lady and they live in Cardiff. Liz speaks the official language of Welsh, but we English have not been able to master the language and remain mono-lingual. I tried to learn/speak French when living in Montreal but was hopeless at it.

I am 78 and have visited Cardiff many times over the years. I had a 4x5 Linhof and tripod that I would use (very slowly). My kids would say that they have at least 30 minutes to kill while dad sets up for a shot. I am not always that slow - with digital I once shot 850 images at a car show with my Sony A850.
    Hi, and thanks for the welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Welcome!
    Thanks !