Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welp, I did it, I ordered a lightweight 8x10

Re: Welp, I did it, I ordered a lightweight 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I also have the Ries J100 with J250-2 head and a Gitzo 300 series (1325) carbon fiber tripod.
    In post #13, I said that I was providing the model of the current Gitzo closest to mine because mine is no longer made. Mine is holding up my 8x10 in the phone snap below. You may recognise it. It's a G1325 MK2

I don't photograph in wind enough that I'd purchase a heavier tripod just to cover off that eventuality. In any event, I have the option of using the Ries tripod and head, which weigh 4.4kg (9.7lb). Or I can forget about using my Gitzo with a levelling base, and use a head with some mass to it. The setup in the photo pairs the Gitzo with a Miller CX6 fluid head, which weighs 2.2kg (4.9lb). Together, the Gitzo and Miller actually weigh a bit more than the Ries.

When it comes to wind, my concern is that an 8x10 bellows can wind up acting like a sail. If that's a prospect, I'd be considering ways to address the problem that go beyond using tripod legs that are a kilo heavier. Is using Ries A100 legs instead of J100 legs an answer to my bellows acting like a sail? I wouldn't count on it.

But I think that you raise an important point, which is to consider local conditions when purchasing a tripod. I don't doubt that there are photographers who have good reasons for using a heavier Gitzo or Ries than what I use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22-1-20 Arca-Swiss 8x10 camera & dark cloth #3 LEdge 1080 Q80.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	229091
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet. The Intrepid 8x10 MK2 weighs 2.5kg (5.5lb). A fresnel screen is extra, weight not stated. Maximum bellows extension is 550mm.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Another tripod issue to be aware if when using big, bulky, heavy cameras...

Am putting finishing touches on my 8X10 restoration camera, and needed to put it on a tripod, but didn't bother to pull out my heavy shooting tripods, and just grabbed my old Majestic single strut legs pod to hold up camera (on mechanic's lift)... Feet were the rubber tips and floor was semi-smooth concrete... Mounted camera on it and had the leg spreader locks snug but not tight, but when I was tweaking on camera, the legs started to shimmy/shake/dance/spread outward where the spreader locks barely stopped this weird motion... I grabbed camera and stopped this, but it happened again later... It seems tips without true friction or secure spreader locks, this "dance" could go out of control, and I didn't turn my back on this set-up until I finished my tasks!!!

Moral here is if tripod is on a smoother surface (like concrete, marble, indoors etc), better have a good spreader system, or old cameramen would use a cord or thin chain between legs to restrain them... And there still can be slippage, so be careful!!!

When buying a tripod, be sure the spreader system locks/works well, and don't be afraid to add other external leg restrainers if there's any doubt!!!

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by letchhausen View Post
    I had the Intrepid first release. I found that to be too tweaky to use and sold it. I hear they've fixed a lot of that stuff on the new ones.
    I heard that also. But I'm used to working with old wonky ass C2's and old ass Deardorffs back in the late 80's. We literally had to ductape them and A clamp the sh** out of them. They got used 10 hours a day by different people at the studio.

Even today, with my Combo, just out of habit, I don't take chances. I put a little black gorilla tape on the lensboards and back in case I pick it up or it tilts accidentally on the tripod and *CRASH* there goes your lens and board. I've seen it happen before. Yikes. Yah, knobs work great and stuff, but hey, sometimes you forget to tighten something down. It happens.

My experiences with 8x10 taught me that vibration control becomes a bigger deal. So I decided against a lightweight camera and bought a Calumet C1. That thing is rock solid. I have a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod ( the current model is Gitzo GT3543XLS - no center column) that I use with my 4x5. Which is fine with that camera, but I do use the Arca Swiss Z2+ which is a beefy head that weighs as much as the tripod, together is 10 pounds. I had a lighter weight head, but that thing wasn't stable. Because weight is stability. Perhaps the Gitzo will work with the Intrepid. For myself, my current tripod/head combo won't work with the Calumet (14 pounds). For the C1 I'm looking at getting a Ries tripod and head because weight is your friend. And wood is stability.
    [/quote]

Agree with you here, I have a Cambo Legend which is an amazing piece of aluminum and knobs, and precise control. And it holds my gigantic 19" Wolly process lens like a baby holding tight to your finger.

I just want something to carry when I go camping, or go to bike events (I'm a cyclist) and I want to be able to carry it around, maybe in a backpack or something. And for 500 bucks USD, I think it fits within my budget.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Something that hasn't been mentioned yet. The Intrepid 8x10 MK2 weighs 2.5kg (5.5lb). A fresnel screen is extra, weight not stated. Maximum bellows extension is 550mm.
    cinqo pounds! And a lightweight tripod about ocho with a head, okay less than 10 with a head. So that's 15. Plus a few more for a lens. So under 20 pounds.

Not bad. My old job when I was younger was carrying dang Speedotrons packs around NYC. Not a stranger to carrying heavy photo gear but I'm over it now. Ha.

Someday someone will 3d print or make an entire Carbon Fiber 8x10 with graphene bellows.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Another tripod issue to be aware if when using big, bulky, heavy cameras...

Am putting finishing touches on my 8X10 restoration camera, and needed to put it on a tripod, but didn't bother to pull out my heavy shooting tripods, and just grabbed my old Majestic single strut legs pod to hold up camera (on mechanic's lift)... Feet were the rubber tips and floor was semi-smooth concrete... Mounted camera on it and had the leg spreader locks snug but not tight, but when I was tweaking on camera, the legs started to shimmy/shake/dance/spread outward where the spreader locks barely stopped this weird motion... I grabbed camera and stopped this, but it happened again later... It seems tips without true friction or secure spreader locks, this "dance" could go out of control, and I didn't turn my back on this set-up until I finished my tasks!!!

Moral here is if tripod is on a smoother surface (like concrete, marble, indoors etc), better have a good spreader system, or old cameramen would use a cord or thin chain between legs to restrain them... And there still can be slippage, so be careful!!!

When buying a tripod, be sure the spreader system locks/works well, and don't be afraid to add other external leg restrainers if there's any doubt!!!

Steve K
    That's some good tips!
    --

One of the reasons why I buy less than ideal stuff, is that I've mentioned before, I worked with A LOT of 8x10s back in the 80's. These were studio settings. Imagine working at a garage and using house tools. Not so great shape, and you got to do what you got to do. I've learned a lot of these guys makeshift, DIY (before DIY was a real term I guess) on how to get stuff working.

What I've learned:

1. Tape anything that can and will fall off (you may be working with a camera that you are not familiar with)
    2. A-clamp that flatbed so you don't get "creep" focus especially with working with tabletop setups
    3. Make you own gobos
    3. Make your own lightstands with old paint can, a 1X piece of wood, and an quickcrete
    4. Tape the legs to the studio floor, someone will eventually trip on it
    5. Tape all the extension cords to the floor
    6. Tape the tops of 8x10 film holders, most of the time, the locking thing is broken off and nothing worse than handing a holder to someone only for the slide to come loose. Oops.
    7. when in doubt, ductape the connections on tripods too. These are old, not yours, belongs to the studio and has seen some sh**, so tape it

Most of these guys are working on 2 or 3 tabletop or room sets and going back and forth so they absolutely positively can't have anything move, fall, tripped on (me!, that eric assistant is always tripping on stuff!) while going back and forth different set ups. Usually my job is to set up, make everything rigid and not move, and he'll move from set to set. If he thinks is good, I'll take a bunch of light readings, take the shot while he is working on next set. It then gets processed inhouse lab (yah, we had a E6 lab in house) and then look and determine the wratten filter to be used. And the filters, hahahah, I kid you not, we taped them on right in front of the lens.

All these I learned cause they need to get the shot, get paid, and buy booze. Priorities man. Not like the studio is gonna buy new holders or a new tripod head. It'll be "ummm work with what you got, it still works".

And it works, and I've seen our work in magazine, boxes, billboards, galleries. And I can remember heck! The shutter on that lens wasn't even working and we had to do 30 pops on the speedotron.

I guess my rule of thumb is "make it work dumdum"
    --

Step in spiked tripod foot adds stability, this is the foot on the Dutch Hill tripod.

Name:	Dutch hill Leg Spike.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	229102

Part of the tripod set up is to stomp them into the soil/dirt/sand to add stability if such a surface is available. One of the absolute perks with a surveyor tripod.

Name:	Dutch hill leg spike in soil.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	229103

Stainless steel flip latches on the Dutch Hill tripod legs. Tripod is made of composite, fiber reinforced plastic and stainless steel hardware. No corrosion issues, environment and weather tolerant, very abuse tolerant, stable and all that... trade off, not light weight.

Name:	Dutch hill latch open.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	229104

Name:	Dutch hill latch closed.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	229105

There is no "free film" just trade offs with a huge dose of "make it work"...

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Step in spiked tripod foot adds stability, this is the foot on the Dutch Hill tripod.

Name:	Dutch hill Leg Spike.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	229102

Part of the tripod set up is to stomp them into the soil/dirt/sand to add stability if such a surface is available. One of the absolute perks with a surveyor tripod.

Name:	Dutch hill leg spike in soil.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	229103

Stainless steel flip latches on the Dutch Hill tripod legs. Tripod is made of composite, fiber reinforced plastic and stainless steel hardware. No corrosion issues, very abuse tolerant, stable and all that... trade off, not light weight.

Name:	Dutch hill latch open.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	229104

Name:	Dutch hill latch closed.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	229105

There is no "free film" just trade offs with a huge dose of "make it work"...

Bernice
    NICE!!! I've always read someting about "get surveryor's tripods" but McGuyvering the head seems to be a pain.
    --

Surveyor tripods have 5/8-16 threaded standard.. adapters to 3/8 and other are easily available and very common.
    https://www.tigersupplies.com/Produc...NED061837.aspx

Moderate weight, low cost wood surveyor tripod would be something like a Leica GST101 (about 12 pounds, made in C, low $ and..) $130 USD.
    https://www.allenprecision.com/leica...hoCJlUQAvD_BwE

Compare this to a $1000+ carbon fiber Gitzo legs only.. no thanks.

Guess which tripod is going to be a LOT more stable, abuse tolerant, long term durable, reliable and .... at significantly lower cost.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    NICE!!! I've always read someting about "get surveryor's tripods" but McGuyvering the head seems to be a pain.