Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Welp, I did it, I ordered a lightweight 8x10

Welp, I did it, I ordered a lightweight 8x10

I did it! I'm replacing, sort of, my Kodak Master View that I carry in a Pelican case. Sometimes I think the pely case is heavier but I'm over the weight. The KMV + Pelly case is heavy. Plus a studio old Bogen tripod with one of them fancy Rational heads on them. I admit, maybe I wasn't so "rational" when I got it years ago.

Every time I travel, I feel like Frodo with all sorts of stuff dangling around me.

Now I'm in the market for a lightweight tripod. But I think my old Bogen 3021 would work with the Intrepid 8x10 II? I'm sure it will.

I'm jelly of you guys that can sling a tripod, and 8x10, with a lens on your shoulder and go tripping around. I want to be cool like you guys, not some guy with 100 pounds of gear in a garden cart. "Dad you coming? Dad you need help? Dad, maybe you should have just carried your iphone, dad dad? dad? are you okay? why are you lying on the ground?"
    --

Re: Welp, I did it, I ordered a lightweight 8x10

Bogen 3021... owned/used one for over three decades. Meh, it's sorta ok.

~With a Canon F1 35mm or EOS digital and modest lenses, reasonably good.

~With a Canon F1 35mm or EOS digital and BIG lenses (300mm f2.8, 500mm f4.5), vibrator and wobble_er. Not nearly stable enough.

~With the basic Hasselblad V, 100mm f3.5, PME, A12 back, reasonably ok.

~With the Linhof Technikardan 23s (6x9), Meh, again vibrator and wobble_er. Not nearly stable enough.

This is the Bogen 3021 with no center column (modified) and a Gitzo R2 pan/tilt.

No possible way the Bogen 3021 will be stable or vibration controlled enough for the Sinar Norma.

Have a Innorel CT80 series (32mm dia legs) Carbon Fiber tripod which is about equal in capacity to the Bogen 3021.. about half the weight, nearly identical performance to the Bogen 3021, Meh...

Most stable has been the Dutch Hill, old rectangular leg Davis & Sanford (before Tiffen ownership), big Gitzo and the wood Berlebach. Unescapable trade-off, weight and materials DO make a difference. Tripod weight rating have about nil real-world value.

Tripod head is another BIG factor. Avoid the center column any way possible.

Bernice

Awesome tips Bernice!! Thanks. I figure it won't work, but I also have a another studio bogen, don't know the model, it's the one below 3036. The 3036 is HEAVY and clumsy. I've worked with the Davis and Sanford tripods, they were nice. "Avoid center column". I'm noticing this at home, with my 3036, center column and cambo 8x10. Sometimes I like it, sometimes a pain. I'll check out some used CF tripods without center columns, I have plenty of time while I wait for the new 8x10
    --

IMO, carbon fiber tripods are over rated, over priced, market appeal has much to do with lower weight, not superior performance.

Innorel has a RT90, 40mm leg tubes liked by the telescope folks lots for value.. No less weight than a similar capable tripod of non-carbon fiber.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H8V8WWM/ref=emc_b_5_t

GItzo carbon fiber, over priced for what they offer. Gitzo & Manfrotto (once Bogen) are owned by the same roof.

Keep in mind any of these twist lock or cam lock (Bogen 3021 and the like) legs can and will get stuck up with fine sand, dirt and etc causing unexpected grief.

Bottom suggestion, get a Berlebach twin leg extension, no centr column woodiee. Direct from Berlebach.
    https://www.berlebach.de/en/?bereich=firma

There are very real reasons why the serious telescope folks continue to use by choice high quality wood tripods, same with the surveying folks that also highly prefer wood and these folks have the test data proving good wood is stable in many ways.

Then tripod head becomes the question.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    IMO, carbon fiber tripods are over rated, over priced, market appeal has much to do with lower weight, not superior performance.

Innorel has a RT90, 40mm leg tubes liked by the telescope folks lots for value.. No less weight than a similar capable tripod of non-carbon fiber.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H8V8WWM/ref=emc_b_5_t
    Nice, 6.8 pound tripod.

GItzo carbon fiber, over priced for what they offer. Gitzo & Manfrotto (once Bogen) are owned by the same roof.
    I did not know this!!

Keep in mind any of these twist lock or cam lock (Bogen 3021 and the like) legs can and will get stuck up with fine sand, dirt and etc causing unexpected grief.
    Yep have had sand all over my tripods. Yuck.

Bottom suggestion, get a Berlebach twin leg extension, no centr column woodiee. Direct from Berlebach.
    https://www.berlebach.de/en/?bereich=firma

There are very real reasons why the serious telescope folks continue to use by choice high quality wood tripods, same with the surveying folks that also highly prefer wood and these folks have the test data proving good wood is stable in many ways.

Then tripod head becomes the question.

Bernice
    Thanks again! Lots to digest today in between working.
    --

Personally like and use a BENRO TAD28C Adventure carbon fiber tripod. I prefer flip leg locks to twist leg locks. I could easily do without the center column but not worth fabricating a non-column top for the tripod (too many other more priority projects in the works). Head is an older Linhof 77mm Leveling Head.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Personally like and use a BENRO TAD28C Adventure carbon fiber tripod. I prefer flip leg locks to twist leg locks. I could easily do without the center column but not worth fabricating a non-column top for the tripod (too many other more priority projects in the works). Head is an older Linhof 77mm Leveling Head.
    Ohhh, 3.2 pounds!! That's what I'm talkin' bout!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    Ohhh, 3.2 pounds!! That's what I'm talkin' bout!
    FYI: Older Linhof 77mm Leveling Head weighs 1.3 pounds and works quite well with my 8x10 Chamonix.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    FYI: Older Linhof 77mm Leveling Head weighs 1.3 pounds and works quite well with my 8x10 Chamonix.
    As do many of the older cine tripods with either 75mm or 100mm bowls, I use a Lisand 7jr with a baco tilt head for my Sinar, dug the tripod out of the scrap heap at school and found the tilt head online for $30.

Carbon fiber tripos may seem lighter on paper. Problem is the heads are not a single grain lighter and they end up making the weight. At the end you have saved less weight then you thought you would and spend more.

I have a Berlebach and it is the least stable tripod I have. Clumsy as can be as well. Only thing I like about it is the thing that let you level the head. You need a pair of vise-grip to get those legs really solid fixed.

My best tripod is some video contraption that weighs a ton and get rarely used as a consequence.
    Expert in non-working solutions.