Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: International Shipping Costs Seeem Outrageous, USPS, UPS, FEDEX, DHL?

Lachlan 717

Re: International Shipping Costs Seeem Outrageous, USPS, UPS, FEDEX, DHL?

Have the Buyer set up a virtual mail box. You ship to a US address (virtual) and they then send it to the OS address. These companies have access to very cheap (relative) postage.

Been doing this for years to Australia (the only country out of 205 the Tin Can hasn’t sent to).
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

It works. On Amazon or other bigger vendors or at some degree with private sellers (there is a lot of examples of scamming using proxy address).
    But it won’t work on ebay as I know.

………lol

Quote Originally Posted by lachlan 717 View Post
    have the buyer set up a virtual mail box. You ship to a us address (virtual) and they then send it to the os address. These companies have access to very cheap (relative) postage.

Been doing this for years to australia (the only country out of 205 the tin can hasn’t sent to).
    Tin Can

multiplex

shipping is never inexpensive, even before fuel prices went up.
    sometimes I send something and the shipping and VAT is 2x the cost of the item and then it's stuck in customs for 3 weeks. gotta love it ..
    years ago I did work for a record company and shipped them their box of merch and cd of images in the same shipping container shipped to me
    insured priority mail about 400 miles away, it got waylaid, and took 6 months and arrived a mess and 1/2, insurance paid them for everything that was lost ..

oh, if people in the states paid the same amount for gaz as their European friends they'd understand why shipping is so expensive ..

Quote Originally Posted by Vaidotas View Post
    Another quirk for EU buyers - it seems there is no agreement between EU and GB on VAT exange, ebay started collecting VAT on purchases from GB, but my country customs has no idea about that.
    It's now common for non-U.S. on-line retailers to use U.S.-based e-commerce providers that charge U.S. customers sales tax even though no sales tax is payable. So far, I've had this happen with vendors of downloadable products (music sample libraries that can cost hundreds of dollars) in Germany, Italy and the U.K. It would be interesting to know where this money is going, because I don't believe that it's payable to any level of government in the U.S.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post

if people in the states paid the same amount for gaz as their European friends they'd understand why shipping is so expensive ..
    If Americans weren't addicted to cheap gas, they'd also have better roads
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Niels

Quote Originally Posted by Vaidotas View Post
    Another quirk for EU buyers - it seems there is no agreement between EU and GB on VAT exange, ebay started collecting VAT on purchases from GB, but my country customs has no idea about that.
    eBay collects VAT for all purchases made from an EU country from an country outside EU.

The eBay seller must use an eBay provided IOSS number and print it on the shipping label. The IOSS number MUST be on the label from the sender, and if it is, you will not have to pay Customs handling and VAT in the receiving EU country.

However, if the eBay seller didn't put the IOSS number on the shipping label, you WILL have to pay VAT again along with whatever Customs Handling Fee your country requires.
    You cannot retroactively convince your customs office that you have already paid VAT, because the rule is that the IOSS number must follow the label from the origin.

The error is with the eBay seller which didn't read or understand the eBay terms of service (all they have to do is to put a IOSS number visibly on the shipping label).

In those cases where the seller is ignorant, you will get your prepaid VAT back from eBay if you complain, but not the Customs handling fee which voids the whole idea of this system - which is very good IMO if only eBay sellers reads the terms of service when exporting to the EU - we as buyer receives the items quicker and don't have to pay the often exorbitant Custom Clearance fees.

In other words, if you as EU buyer, buys something from outside EU on eBay, make sure your seller understand what an IOSS number is and make sure they put it on the shipping label.
    If the seller makes mistakes, give them negative feedback - eBay is their chosen platform and if they sell to EU they should know the rules of their chosen platform.
    ----
    Niels

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Insurance is a joke with all
    I can't speak for USPS's insurance, but Canada Post insurance only covers loss, not breakage. And they won't sell you insurance for any country you might need it, ie anywhere parcels regularly get stolen. So if they drive a truck over your parcel and deliver you a pancake instead of a box, don't even think about collecting the insurance. So I have to agree, the insurance is a scam. There is a free $100 insurance included with all but the basic shipping service, I think I've collected it once in almost 25 years of selling online, when tracking for a parcel I shipped 'surface' showed it hadn't moved in 2 months.

Thanks for confirming this. I suspected as much but was always too lazy to read the fine print.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I can't speak for USPS's insurance, but Canada Post insurance only covers loss, not breakage. And they won't sell you insurance for any country you might need it, ie anywhere parcels regularly get stolen. So if they drive a truck over your parcel and deliver you a pancake instead of a box, don't even think about collecting the insurance. So I have to agree, the insurance is a scam. There is a free $100 insurance included with all but the basic shipping service, I think I've collected it once in almost 25 years of selling online, when tracking for a parcel I shipped 'surface' showed it hadn't moved in 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by nitroplait View Post
    eBay collects VAT for all purchases made from an EU country from an country outside EU.

The eBay seller must use an eBay provided IOSS number and print it on the shipping label. The IOSS number MUST be on the label from the sender, and if it is, you will not have to pay Customs handling and VAT in the receiving EU country.

However, if the eBay seller didn't put the IOSS number on the shipping label, you WILL have to pay VAT again along with whatever Customs Handling Fee your country requires.
    You cannot retroactively convince your customs office that you have already paid VAT, because the rule is that the IOSS number must follow the label from the origin.

The error is with the eBay seller which didn't read or understand the eBay terms of service (all they have to do is to put a IOSS number visibly on the shipping label).

In those cases where the seller is ignorant, you will get your prepaid VAT back from eBay if you complain, but not the Customs handling fee which voids the whole idea of this system - which is very good IMO if only eBay sellers reads the terms of service when exporting to the EU - we as buyer receives the items quicker and don't have to pay the often exorbitant Custom Clearance fees.

In other words, if you as EU buyer, buys something from outside EU on eBay, make sure your seller understand what an IOSS number is and make sure they put it on the shipping label.
    If the seller makes mistakes, give them negative feedback - eBay is their chosen platform and if they sell to EU they should know the rules of their chosen platform.
    Thanks a lot for this usefull info and clarofication.