Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: International Shipping Costs Seeem Outrageous, USPS, UPS, FEDEX, DHL?

Re: International Shipping Costs Seeem Outrageous, USPS, UPS, FEDEX, DHL?

Most recent package (250x250x180mm, about 5Kg) from Germany via DHL economy no insurance cost about $70 USD. Deliver time, about three weeks.

Most recent package (180x180x100mm, 2Kg) from Japan via Fed Ex air no insurance, three working days to deliver. Cost $50 USD.

Insurance or not, shippers have a tendency to bust packages. Better to pack the item to account for this abuse or destruction proof the item much as reasonable as Murphy will always have it's way.

USPS domestic rates including stamps are going up. Cost of fuel and more all figure into this.

Another reality to consider, inflation:
    https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Bernice

I prefer USPS and have shipped worldwide, except Australia

Insurance is a joke with all

I pack real well
    Tin Can

I too have seen international shipping costs to go through the roof -- like 50% -- in the last month (I'm in the USA). There are a few ways to deal with it, but not available for all shipments.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    So when I purchased a not cheap Schneider-Kreuznach Super-Symmar XL f/5.6 150mm lens from a vendor in Germany in December, and had it shipped to me in New York, I shouldn't have bothered to insure it. Okey doke

Just checked what it cost to ship. The lens weighs 740g/26oz and was extremely well packed in its original box inside another box. It wasn't a light package. For standard shipping with insurance, DHL wanted US$89. Priority shipping, which the vendor and I opted for after he spoke with DHL, was $107. Given that DHL was hired by the German vendor, I imagine that that amount included German VAT, which I believe is 19%.
    If he was shipping it to North America he would not pay VAT. Neither would you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    If he was shipping it to North America he would not pay VAT.
    Good to know.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Recently verified, order direct from Berlebach, Germany, no VAT. shipping via DHL.
    Think this applies to other EU nations with a similar VAT tax like UK.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    If he was shipping it to North America he would not pay VAT. Neither would you.

What a great response from people with real knowledge of the shipping business. Many thanks.

I've recently had to take GERMANY off my ETSY list -- not because of shipping costs. Germany has a new waste reduction program -- packaging restrictions, which I think is a great idea. But the forms and hoops the seller must fill out and jump through are ridiculous -- at least for small time sellers. I'll just tell German customers to send me payment directly through PAYPAL.

Hard agree on UPS. If they're the only option a seller is offering, I walk unless it's something I REALLY REALLY want/need. My last order from Bostick was around $500 USD and UPS dinged me for around $100, or roughly 20%. For Canadians buying from Bostick and Sullivan, they can ship USPS, but you need to ask. The cost is close to UPS, maybe slightly more, but there won't be ridiculous brokerage fees, just the usual duties.

Also this is why Canuckleheads love to shop from B&H (presuming they have what we need), hit the magic $99 threshold and shipping is free.

My preferred shippers from the US are USPS, Fed Ex, then DHL.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Here is funny story.
    I’m from EU.
    Bought recently discussed Voss gelatine filter holder from US on ebay for 12,-
    USPS shipping, VAT on top of purchase and shipping sum and final expense is 69,-
    Hopefully I’m in no need for anything from far away for LF.
    Another quirk for EU buyers - it seems there is no agreement between EU and GB on VAT exange, ebay started collecting VAT on purchases from GB, but my country customs has no idea about that.