Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Information on a Beseler 45 V with 8x10 conversion

Drew Wiley

Re: Information on a Beseler 45 V with 8x10 conversion

The Beseler lenses were not top-notch lenses, just adapted lesser f/9 graphics lenses more common found on copy "stat" cameras. And the notion of a "heavy duty" chassis? Well, yeah, by comparison to some previous Beseler options, but certainly nothing real commercial duty. Those Beseler conversions are adequate for, say, making a basic 16X20 print from 8x10 black and white film. But it's not a suitable system for anything bigger. I've seen em in use. You'd get a lot more versatility and precision by converting a Durst 138 5X7 chassis to an 8x10 head.

Suspect the Bessler MX_ chassis to 8x10 enlarger conversion happened back in them days was due to the sheer number of these enlargers in service. They were extremely popular. Then some dark room folks back then got into 8x10 film, making it a natural evolution for this enlarger. Friend still has one of these in his dark room, works ok, but limiting in many ways. This trade off is one of the very real factors in sheet film format choice, 8x10 imposes some very real limitations on dark room printing gear and all related.

Having used Bessler MXT, Omega and similar enlargers decades ago then moving on to a Durst 138/184 and DeVere much later.. these when properly set up is such an improvement over a Bessler, Omega and similar.

Alternatives, contact print 8x10 (simple with the possibility of excellent prints) or go to a smaller sheet film size coupled with the best enlargers for that given sheet film size. This is how and why 5x7_13x18cm became the highly preferred sheet film size.. It was much about what is the best floor standing enlarger, dark room space required, high quality B&W papers available as a print process system.

8x10 color seems so much easier back then when high quality print labs made GOOD prints each and every day.. all that is long gone today.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    8x10 imposes some very real limitations on dark room printing gear and all related.
    Bernice
    'Nuff said.

Drew Wiley

... Or Bernice, one can just keep making their own color prints better than the labs ever did. No, it's not likely to happen at the same pace, or "on schedule". Good home cookin' is slow cookin'.

Overly involved to do proper color prints.. So, it remains B&W for now.

Still of the opinion, most today have not experienced really GOOD color prints.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ... Or Bernice, one can just keep making their own color prints better than the labs ever did. No, it's not likely to happen at the same pace, or "on schedule". Good home cookin' is slow cookin'.

Lascassas, TN

I am the owner of a Beseler 45XVL 8x10 enlarger. It look almost new. It has power lift and power focus. All four tube light and look good. It does weight a ton. No lens or negative carrier was included.

If anyone has a user manual to share I would like to read it. Also photos of the negative carrier would be helpful..

The sad part is I sold my 8x10 camera kit a couple of years ago.

Thanks tp the group for all the ideas
    Bill Kumpf

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kumpf View Post
    The sad part is I sold my 8x10 camera kit a couple of years ago.
    Cheer up, Bill. It's not like there is a shortage of good 8x10 gear out there.

Good 10X10 enlargers are very hard to find

Sure good enlarging lenses are everywhere

but the old heads are crap now

a new Head is expensive
    Tin Can