Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Information on a Beseler 45 V with 8x10 conversion

Re: Information on a Beseler 45 V with 8x10 conversion

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    If I'm not mistaken...I think that Beseler had a contract with Rodenstock for a 240mm f/9, specifically for use with the 8x10 converted Beseler 4x5 enlargers, and it was small enough to fit a standard Besler lensboard.

I actually owned one of these lenses and it was nice...but I cannot remember what it was called (Beseler Apo-something or other). Bob, are you around...do you remember this lens?
    Apo Geragon

The 45V column goes straight up and down on a single column. It's a single column, but very wide, so pretty stable. But large prints are a problem -- due to the straight column -- and need a work-around.

The earlier 45M (and CB-7) models -- there were several -- have an angled pair of columns connected at the top -- and either rear or front support arms. Very stable and better for large prints. PLUS, on many models, you can tilt the head backward for wall projection -- though that would be a challenge for 8x10 work.

Oh I just remembered what that 240 f/9 was called: the Beseler Apo-HD 240 f/9 enlarging lens (just looked it up to verify). Was probably also an Apo Geragon as Bob suggested.

At any rate, it looks like it wouldn't be difficult to find one of these, and at a pretty reasonable price.

When I drove 1000 miles to remove my XLV, it was installed on a perch/ledge, meaning it was far from wall

So I did same same

but calculated my 11 ft ceiling for ideal print sizes

I will never use the clearance, but I could

The top mount is absolutely necessary

and could be easily made

I use huge long modern lag bolts into wall logs, it's a very old house for this area

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    The 45V column goes straight up and down on a single column. It's a single column, but very wide, so pretty stable. But large prints are a problem -- due to the straight column -- and need a work-around.

The earlier 45M (and CB-7) models -- there were several -- have an angled pair of columns connected at the top -- and either rear or front support arms. Very stable and better for large prints. PLUS, on many models, you can tilt the head backward for wall projection -- though that would be a challenge for 8x10 work.
    Tin Can

Might be a compromise...but I know that way back when, Omega offered a front surface mirror...set at a 45 degree angle and designed to mount underneath the enlarger lens, which allowed for side projection at whatever distance. If this sounds interesting, I think you can also pick up a front surfaced mirror from Edmund Scientific.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Might be a compromise...but I know that way back when, Omega offered a front surface mirror...set at a 45 degree angle and designed to mount underneath the enlarger lens, which allowed for side projection at whatever distance. If this sounds interesting, I think you can also pick up a front surfaced mirror from Edmund Scientific.
    The approach I use on my CB-7 -- which does not do wall projections like my 45MII -- is a Spiratone MIRROTACH (AKA, Asanuma SQUINTAR, Itorex ANGLE SCOPE 90, etc.). They use a Series VII adapter to fit any lens, and have a rotating front-surface mirror -- easy to attach to camera lenses for sneak peeks, or an enlarging lens for wall projection. Since it is attached to the lens, no alignment is needed.

Easy to find and CHEAP on EBAY.

Got 2 of those

I wish I more forcibly worked on getting a copy camera Prism from my source

He uses it as paperweight
    Tin Can

I know little or nothing about these, so take the following with a grain of salt. That said, I recall seeing one advertised with a the "heavy duty" chassis. It me makes me wonder if there might have been a special enlarger chassis manufactured to go with the 8x10 conversion kit?

I've don't recall a special chassis, but anything is possible. Who is the "advertiser"? Beseler?

Most likely they refer to the 'extra' steel plates, aka weights
    Tin Can