Thread: What kind of shutter is this?

What kind of shutter is this?

The listing says "Copal 3." I have never seen a Copal shutter of any size that looks like this ....
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/27538069837...YAAOSwW~Zighi~

Thanks,

NER
    https://normanrileyphotography.com

Re: What kind of shutter is this?

That’s a Compur shutter, not a Copal, and not a #3, either.

This was not uncommon on this vintage of Schneider lens, I have a Super Angulon 121/8 with the same Compur setup. The shutter in mine is a No. 0, but it’s buried under a lot of trim rings to make look integral with the lens barrel.

Rick “not sure what the bayonet is about, but looks like a Sinar board with an aperture control like the later DBM” Denney

And, of course, Moderators should know better than to engage in threads which highlight a currently listed EBay item!!

That thingy hanging out is a Sinar type B remote aperture control (see this pdf https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/02096/02096.pdf)

It allows you to change the lens aperture while you're standing behind the camera. The shutter itself looks like a conventional Compur shutter, as rdenney has already stated. The aperture adjustment looks like it might be handy, but you still have to go to the front of the camera to set the shutter speed or to cock the shutter. If you're shooting high volume large format shots (which nobody does any more) it might make sense, but nowadays it's probably just an unnecessary and expensive accessory that is more likely to break.
    Last edited by sharktooth; 11-Jul-2022 at 11:10.

Schneider offered their early super angulons in this style of modified Compur shutter. The intent was to allow easier access to the shutter controls (time/aperture). The lens is mounted on a Sinar "aperture control" board which has a aperture control cable with a set of "pinch" ears at the end to operate the lens aperture to a "pre-set". This Sinar offering was not that popular and was discontinued, replaced by the Sinar DB and DBM aperture control lens mounts that are integrated into the Sinar shutter.

eBay seller has an error in this listing regarding the Copal shutter, seller knows the market wants a Copal shutter.. Schneider serial# of 11,xxx,yyy dates to about 1969 - 1970.
    210mm f8 super angulon has a front filter size of 135mm, big.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    And, of course, Moderators should know better than to engage in threads which highlight a currently listed EBay item!!
    From our guidelines:

Links to active or inactive eBay (or similar sites) listings are allowed if the purpose of the post is to discuss or ask questions about a feature or the technology used in the product. To preserve the value of the discussion after the link goes dead, however, please include a sufficient description of the item (e.g. brand name, model number) such that the question or discussion can still be understood. Bare pointers to a currently active sale, or comments about the price of the sales offering, serve only to promote the sale, and are prohibited.

Here is an archived link for when the listing scrolls off:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220711...m/275380698371

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Schneider offered their early super angulons in this style of modified Compur shutter. The intent was to allow easier access to the shutter controls (time/aperture). The lens is mounted on a Sinar "aperture control" board which has a aperture control cable with a set of "pinch" ears at the end to operate the lens aperture to a "pre-set". This Sinar offering was not that popular and was discontinued, replaced by the Sinar DB and DBM aperture control lens mounts that are integrated into the Sinar shutter.

eBay seller has an error in this listing regarding the Copal shutter, seller knows the market wants a Copal shutter.. Schneider serial# of 11,xxx,yyy dates to about 1969 - 1970.
    210mm f8 super angulon has a front filter size of 135mm, big.

Bernice
    Back in those days Plaubel offered dual stick up shutter controllers. One for shutter speed setting and one for aperture setting. In fact, all later Compur shutters had a geared wheel on the back of the shutter to add an aperture control stick.

Because all my shutters are Copal shutters and because the shutter on this offering is not like any Compur shutter I've ever seen, I had no idea what I was looking at. Thank you all for the education.

N.Riley
    https://normanrileyphotography.com