Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Omega D3 Questions

Re: Omega D3 Questions

Finding your cone length will be easy if you already have the lenses. You can hold the lens under the lensboard area and get an good idea of the flange focal length needed for the cone to obtain focus. Personally I think it would be much easer to use a single cone and make the focus track. If only enlarging to two sizes then only two positions on the focus track need to be specified.

Even though you may not be interested in the autofocus function, you will still need to construct a focus track to hold the wheel in position. Since you need a track, why not at least make the wheel position correct for your two common magnification sizes.
    Just prop the wheel to the position to get in focus and record the distance the wheel is offset. Do this for a few points and draw it up in CAD and have someone make the focus track for you in carbon fiber or whatever.

I guess if you are handy with CAD, you could draw up concentric cones with a screw/helicoid and have a single adjustable cone. In fact the Leica autofocus enlarger had just that. Although the helicoid for the lens is to fine tune the autofocus system, it can be used to focus when projecting outside of the autofocus range (on the floor, for example).

Trust this helps-

wrong post
    Last edited by HT Finley; 29-Aug-2022 at 20:13.

Since I started this thead 7 weeks ago, I hope enough reliable sources will still be engaged to help with an important question. Since it is a good buddy 40 miles away who is the owner, it was only today when I could get down there to actually see his D3 acquisition. He's dependent on me for knowlege of it, and my knowledge is poor. Viewing the 2 photos attached, Is this machine 4x5 ready as far as the lamphouse and condensers go? I suspect it is not. The enlarger came with a 75mm Wollensak with its dedicated correct focus rail, plus a universal rail. It came with a 4x5 negative carrier, and as you can see, nothing to fit into the slot on the front of the lamphouse. I originally thought this slot was for a filter drawer. Now I learn that the slot may be for supplementary condenser glass instead, but it came with nothing to cover or go into the big opening at all. So I really don't know what was supposed to be there. But as I look at the condenser assembly, I suspect it may not be for 4x5. I didn't get to measure the diameter of the glass, but it looks mighty puny sitting down in there. So my question is, if he put a 135mm lens on it with the 4 1/4" recommended cone, and we make something to simply cover the big opening, is this enlarger capable of 4x5 work as it is now? Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D3 lamphouse.jpg   D3 condensers.jpg  

multiplex

Hi HT

You might take a look at Harry Taylor's old website. He passed away a few years ago but mr peabody might be helpful with his wayback machine.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20060202...enlargers.com/
    https://web.archive.org/web/20060206...ga_manuals.htm

good luck!
    Last edited by jnantz; 30-Aug-2022 at 11:27.

Thank you. The question has been answered. This is the wrong condenser set for 4x5.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Yes, it is wrong. The 4x5 condenser is the full size of the housing.

How you doing Henry/Tom… it’s beeen a long time since I’ve noticed you being active.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Yes, it is wrong. The 4x5 condenser is the full size of the housing.

How you doing Henry/Tom… it’s beeen a long time since I’ve noticed you being active.
    Great Brian. Hope you are well. Thank you for your verifying input. My friend actually found a correct condenser set about an hour ago for $40. I feel better, as he first saw the enlarger at a flea market and called me for a yay or nay quick opinion before he bought. For me, I was in a tough spot, but gave my nod to it based on the $50 price. So I guess he still got out OK. I HATE giving bad advice on these sorts of things. We look to each other on these sites for credibility. Holding up my end is important to me. Regards, KN4SMF
    Edit: Where I've been is I got on studying and overhauling Ampex tape recorders and such.

Well, here's my cone I just finished printing for 135mm Schneider. I made it adjustable. Right now it's set to 4 1/4 inches long. Its 4 9/6" inside diameter. My buddy says the diameter of the enlarger opening is 4 1/2. But I don't see how it could work without cutting off corners. What I don't get is why they would make the opening in the enlarger bellows 4 1/2" on a 4x5 negative that has a 6" diameter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220902_101525.jpg   20220902_101535.jpg  

Nice work!