Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Enlarger Baseboard Replacement?

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Enlarger Baseboard Replacement?

I have an older Omega DII enlarger. It works great, but I am unhappy with the base board which is delaminating and otherwise a bit rough. I have a Leitz Focomat IIa in similar condition. Not sure if replacement baseboards are available for either, but it seems like something that can be DIY. Other than going to the lumber yard and buying any old piece of wood, is there a preferred surface material or other variables I should consider?

I would go to a shop that builds kitchen cabinets and countertops, and have a piece of 1-inch MFD board (used for countertops) laminated on all sides (to minimize warping) with something like Formica.

The main thing is that you want your enlarger baseboard to stay flat. I'd use 3/4" or, even better, 1" MDF (medium density fiberboard). It's dimensionally stable and won't warp. It comes in 4'x8' sheets but you may be able to find a source for smaller sheets. Also, it's cheap. (Also, it's very heavy.) For a really spiffy job laminate it with a Formica type product. You can get pretty much any color you want. This is an easy job for anyone reasonably handy. I'm sure you can find directions on the internet. To replace both your baseboards should be a piece of cake if you have access to basic shop power tools.

I replaced one of my Omega baseboards with MDF just recently also Donald.

I had the local hardware dept custom cut 3/4 boards & then i glued & bolted them together for a really beefy and extremely flat baseboard. Cost about $40 CDN.

David Crossley/Crossley Photography....

Donald,

I agree with the early posters this is exactly the type of base that comes with LPL enlargers. It's stable, flat, clean and probably reduces vibrations due to the mass. The only thing I would add that it may be easier find a reasonable kitchen counter person and have them finish the edges with laminate or vinyl edging. It will look better, preserve the edges over time and eliminate another source of dust. Almost forgot choose a neutral grey color laminate.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

"' ... and probably reduces vibrations due to the mass."

for this reason it's the prefered material for loudspeaker enclosures. even in high end speakers that cost as much as a car, and have veneers of exotic hardwood, there's usually a humble MDF box on the inside.

My local Home Depot has some really good looking pieces of many-layered plywood in sizes precut about the right size for a base board. While I haven't bothered to rplace mine (it is scarred and discolored) the price at Home Depot was very reasonable and they will cut to whatever size you want.

Home depot sells some mdf that is laminated white on both sides. They have it cut into smaller sheets. This is what Harry "The Omega Repair man", uses on his rebuilds. I was able to use my old one as a template to drill three holes if my memory is correct? You may be able to to pop out the old "T" nuts and drive them back into the drilled holes. You can buy a roll of the edging, which you iron onto the perimeter of the board and then trim with a sheet rock knife. Be carefull not to cut thy self!

Regards,
    Dan

Professional bottom feeder here. If there's any new home construction going on around you, try to catch the cabinet guys or the plumbers and see if you can mooch a kitchen sink cutout or two. It will have formica on one side. That's what I used for the last one on my D-2. It works fine. You can always glue two of 'em back to back for a really hefty 1 1/2 inch thick board.

Another solution is wall mounting!