Thread: First macro / still live

First macro / still live

I’m recovering from COVID ( after two year it found me), so I had the idea to try out something I have never done in 45 years of photography.
    With my Chamonix 45F-2 standaard bellows and a 150mm/f5.6 lens I have tried to take a 1:1 image of some shells I have found.
    With max bellows out it was possible, quite dark for focussing.
    I have placed a grey card before the image, took a EV reading, choose the aperture and measure the bellows.
    Next put all that information into Reprocity Timer:
    Fomapan 200
    15sec
    Bellows 360mm = + 2 1/2 stop
    Total of 25:55 min

After some time second exposure but it read 30sec total of 1:18:03min

The first image is good, but the second is overexposed, no idea why. Sharpness could better. Next time (if there will be one) I’m going to use extra light for focussing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schelp-1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	228899

Name:	schelp-2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	228900

Re: First macro / still live

Glad you live!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Glad you live!
    Never been so sick of anything even after 3 vaccine, still tired.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    Never been so sick of anything even after 3 vaccine, still tired.
    Imagine where you could be if you hadn't been vaccinated.

Hang in there. They expect to have a newer vaccine in the Fall that targets the Omicron variant.

Alternative to really long exposures is to apply really powerful electronic strobes. What was the effective taking aperture needed with the 2.5 f-stop compensation for bellows extension?

COVID affects individuals with diversity, some have no symptoms others it is fatal. In the majority of cases being vax_ed helps reduce the severity. Neighbor who is a ICU supervisor since the beginning of the COVID pandamic, she notes the ICU covid cases are greatly lower than at the beginning with less severity for those vax_ed. There was a time when the HC staff was truly frustrated with caring for non vax_ed folks, much of what happened to them could have been so easily prevented by getting vax_ed..

Bernice

I’m recovering from COVID ( after two year it found me), so I had the idea to try out something I have never done in 45 years of photography.
    With my Chamonix 45F-2 standaard bellows and a 150mm/f5.6 lens I have tried to take a 1:1 image of some shells I have found.
    With max bellows out it was possible, quite dark for focussing.
    I have placed a grey card before the image, took a EV reading, choose the aperture and measure the bellows.
    Next put all that information into Reprocity Timer:
    Fomapan 200
    15sec
    Bellows 360mm = + 2 1/2 stop
    Total of 25:55 min

After some time second exposure but it read 30sec total of 1:18:03min

The first image is good, but the second is overexposed, no idea why. Sharpness could better. Next time (if there will be one) I’m going to use extra light for focussing.

Name:	schelp-1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	228899

Name:	schelp-2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	228900

4 Moderna so far

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Alternative to really long exposures is to apply really powerful electronic strobes. What was the effective taking aperture needed with the 2.5 f-stop compensation for bellows extension?

COVID affects individuals with diversity, some have no symptoms others it is fatal. In the majority of cases being vax_ed helps reduce the severity. Neighbor who is a ICU supervisor since the beginning of the COVID pandamic, she notes the ICU covid cases are greatly lower than at the beginning with less severity for those vax_ed. There was a time when the HC staff was truly frustrated with caring for non vax_ed folks, much of what happened to them could have been so easily prevented by getting vax_ed..

Bernice
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Bernice
    I have chosen for f/45, for a good DOF and then let Reciprocity Timer calculate everything.

Patrick

Consider using some variety of studio strobe with various light modifiers as needed.

1100 watt/seconds into a strobe head with a 27" beauty dish produces f45 at about 4 ft.

Name:	f45@1100w:s, ISO100.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	228935

What this outfit looks like, Elinchrom S3000 strobe head with 27" beauty dish on a Matthews mini-boom and C-stand above the table.

Name:	Elinchrom BD_S3000.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	228936

f45 using strobe can be easily achieved with lower power strobe units by multi-flash. If 500 watt/seconds is available producing f32 at the flash meter, two flashes = f45, or f22 available from the strobe head (250 watt/seconds) & light modifier requires four flashes to achieve f45 to be recorded on film. This practice was extremely common back in the day.. some flash meters like the Minolta flash IV have a "multi" setting allows metering accumulated strobe flashes to be recorded on film.

Another common way of using multi flashes via electronic strobe is to "paint with light". There was once a product made aka "Hose Master" light painting system using this idea/concept.

11,000 watt/seconds into multi and various strobe heads is available. This was essential in virtually every Foto studio making color transparency sheet film images back in those days. Appears to be whopping strobe power today, once light modifiers and the need for f22 and smaller image recording lens apertures, that amount of strobe power is not so much.. any more.

Name:	Elinchrom 404 & 1500.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	228937

Bernice

I have chosen for f/45, for a good DOF and then let Reciprocity Timer calculate everything.

Patrick