Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: What will happen to your negatives in "the end"?

Re: What will happen to your negatives in "the end"?

Thank you so much for this Merg. I remember the name Ed Kirwan, glad to hear the archive was taken in by the Bancroft Library.

Yes r.e., ASUC was the "Associated Students (of the) University (of) California", often pronounced "A-Suck", not sure why, maybe just youthful cynicism at a time when that was growing. It was a long time ago in more ways than one...

David
    UC Berkeley Class of '66
    (A bad year to run out your student deferment)

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I hope to print portfolios for my sons -- am thinking about including the negatives with the portfolios.
    I have made one copy, mounted, of my best print of my favorite pictures. They are in boxes in a closet in my house, maybe 60-80 prints (I've never produced a lot of work). Aside from a few photographers (some here), whose comments were much appreciated, not many seemed to have cared much for my work. That is OK; I always did this for myself. I have no sense of futility or wasted effort-- for whatever it's worth, my pictures are evidence that I saw the world in a certain way. Photography has certainly helped me to see it, and appreciate its beauty and mystery. I am grateful for that every day, whether I'm out with a camera (increasingly rare) or not.

Perhaps my grandchildren (teenagers now) will find them interesting in time, but I'm not counting on it. What happens to the prints then is up to them. The negatives, I am sure, will end up in the Burlington County landfill. So be it. Sic transit gloria mundi, amen.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Excellent, Joe.

I have always been involved with some form of education for the entire period of being a photographer. Directing my own educational efforts, of course, but helping students and peers as a matter of course since my first photo class in 1978 as a 23 yrs old.

Add that to ego, I enjoy having work available for random people (and friends) to view under good lighting by being a member of a local art cooperative (w/ gallery). I have a tiny photo of me with my 8x10 with a description of the process used (and why) near my framed work. It is always interesting seeing how people react to my work as they circle the gallery when I am working there. I occasionally talk about the work if there is the interest shown. Since the work is anything from medium format to 11x14 platinum/palladium prints, I have a few magnifying glasses out if people wish to see the detail -- so it is fun to see who picks up them up.

The cooperative has been operating since June 2003...so I have had thousands of people look at my work -- or walk right by it -- over these 20 years. So yes, my appreciation of how others perceive my work, on many different levels, is very important to me. It is one of the many reasons I am a photographic artist.

I have always disliked the saying, "...and those who cannot, teach." The ones who can do it, who understand it, and can communicate it, are the teachers. The rest are instructors.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    Thank you so much for this Merg. I remember the name Ed Kirwan, glad to hear the archive was taken in by the Bancroft Library.

Yes r.e., ASUC was the "Associated Students (of the) University (of) California", often pronounced "A-Suck", not sure why, maybe just youthful cynicism at a time when that was growing. It was a long time ago in more ways than one...

David
    UC Berkeley Class of '66
    (A bad year to run out your student deferment)

David, it appears we may have crossed paths on the UC campus. However, as my job with ASUC Graphic Arts was full-time, I took evening classes at Merritt College.

When I was hired in 1961, among my duties was making prints for publication of the 500 plus page 1962 Blue & Gold Yearbook. That was the year President Kennedy gave his Charter Day speech to a crowd of 80,000 at Memorial Stadium. Ed and I were cleared by Secret Service to photograph in the procession of dignitaries. During the speech, I photographed an overall view from the press box using 4x5 Ektachrome and a Speed Graphic fitted with a 90mm Angulon. It was an exciting day for this twenty year-old. Little did I know, that eighteen months later the president would be my commander-in-chief. I was drafted into the Army in 1963.

The link from r.e. reminds me of those turbulent times around Berkeley and the campus. The most dangerous event I covered was the deadly People's Park Protest in 1969. It was an ugly affair, utilizing the National Guard, police with shotguns, and aerial tear gas attacks. The event is well documented in the Ed Kirwan ASUC Photograph Archive.

Indeed, a long time ago in more ways than one.