Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: DeVere 504 questions

Re: DeVere 504 questions

The glass neg carrier (with top glass anti newton, lower glass clear) can be used for 4x5 and medium format negs, for 35mm get the masks. To position negs correctly in the glass carrier you can place it on top of a flash light so as to see exactly what you are doing. I use the type as shown here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/22446436002...AAAOSwqTVgLwSz

I used to have two neg carriers, one with glass and one with the 35mm masks permanently in place. I still use the glass carrier, but for 35mm a Focomat1C.

The dichro head is fine for split filter printing with the M and Y filters . Or you can calibrate the dichro head for your variable contrast paper(s) following the instructions as written by Paul Butzi on this topic. No need to use the C filter with either approach.

For correct alignment of all planes a Versalab Parallel tool is very helpful. You'll need the proper hex keys and a screw driver.

Good luck, it's a great machine.

For roll film, I prefer using a glass AN top piece but the metal cutout for the bottom.

Note: there are two De Vere negative holders, a thick one and a newer, thinner one. I prefer the older one. Both can be used a 504, but you might have to change the metal posts that lift the head if you switch. That's easy, as it's just regular sized round stock.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I'm in the middle of sorting out a floor model DeVere 504, and much like yourself, I needed to get a number of the accessories to make it work. I ended up buying the cable for generic timers from KHB (pricey though) and the head fired up no problem. Lens boards can be bought new from KHB and from customphototools.com as wells as used on ebay etc... I found some locally as these seem to be reasonably plentiful here in the area. Seems the Canadian gov't seemed to like them. I made the new baseboard from the drawing surface of an old drafting table. I can confirm the fans in the head are quite noisy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Devere 504s.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	228827

Quote Originally Posted by pitotshock View Post
    I made the new baseboard from the drawing surface of an old drafting table. I can confirm the fans in the head are quite noisy.
    I had a baseboard made using a double formica countertop material. I can also confirm that the fans on my 5108 are noisy. Luis
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 4-Jul-2022 at 10:01.

Hi Daniel

If that is a photograph of your actual enlarger - then you already have the base board - the large white thing at the bottom.

It is either a Mk4 or Mk5 enlarger and you will need that information if you ever need a negative carrier or its inserts.

I have exactly the same enlarger as you - and as I never intended to enlarge anything but B&W, I simply unscrewed the analyser sitting on the left side of the column and cut off the sensing wires.

I've never missed the unit in the intervening 15 years I've owned mine.

I then bought an RH Designs Stopclock Pro enlarger timer plus the accessory connecting cable for the Trans Stab unit - the enlarger timer then plugs in to the Trans Stab unit and the two work seamlessly together.

The RH Stopclock is an expensive bit of kit but is a really clever/intelligent/intuitive/useful add on and I would never go back to anything else.

The fan in my head is almost totally silent - so check for dust accumulation on the fan blades and make sure that it isn't vibrating the head if it is old and out of balance/worn bearings.

My Trans Stab fan makes a lot of noise and runs continuously.

The Trans Stab also buzzes quite loudly unit it is properly warmed up - but this is nothing to worry about.

Best of luck

Martin

I have exactly the same enlarger as you - and as I never intended to enlarge anything but B&W, I simply unscrewed the analyser sitting on the left side of the column and cut off the sensing wires.

I've never missed the unit in the intervening 15 years I've owned mine.
    I then bought an RH Designs Stopclock Pro enlarger timer plus the accessory connecting cable for the Trans Stab unit - the enlarger timer then plugs in to the Trans Stab unit and the two work seamlessly together.
    That's what I did as well.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

I also got me a 504 with dichro head (single lamp). The fan only works when the lamp is on, is that right? Or should the fan start working when the main switch is on? I'm worried that I'll burn a hole in the foam lining of the diffuser box.

Jeroen, I have the exact same unit as pictured in post 33. As soon as I switch the enlarger on, the fan starts up and remains on until I switch off at the mains.

Mine works the same way as Mick's.

I got an offer for $2000 CAD (about $1500 USD) for a De Vere 504, desktop version, very good condition, neg carriers 35mm to 4x5, 3 lenses for 35mm to 4x5 coverage, timer, etc. But with dichro color head.

Do you think this is a good deal/idea? My other option is Durst 1200 4x5" enlarger, but I see them on ebay for $2500 USD min.

Also, does the color head make it a challenge to print B&W? I mean there's magenta and yellow filters like in B&W head, does this make any difference? Is it the halogen bulb that creates a problem vs. tungsten?

Also, is it possible to ever convert De Vere 504 for 8x10 enlargement with a custom-made head? Would it accommodate something like this, or the head does not come off in an easy way?