Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DeVere 504 questions

DeVere 504 questions

Somebody near me has had a DeVere 504 in his shed for 6 years, never used it because he didn't have space. He wants to trade it for a small 6x7 LPL enlarger I have. I went to see it yesterday and it's missing the timer. The light in the head doesn't turn on, I read that I might need the timer for that. The fan works though and the enlarger is in ok shape. It goes up and down, not the smoothest but I don't know how smooth those controls are. Also he doesn't have anymore the baseboard (24"x24", I think?) and only one half of a 6x6 and a 6x7 mask. (Originally the previous owner had all the masks from Minox to 4x5)
    I also comes with the Colour 500 and extra 6 channels.

I was hoping for a 504 that just needed cleaning up and ready to go, but I'm not sure I can take the project of hunting down parts. My questions are...

1. How is the baseboard attached to the chassis?
    2. What would you do in my case?

Re: DeVere 504 questions

the baseboard attaches with bolts (likely Metric, but can check mine). I use an Omega digital timer with my 504 but any good timer shld be ok. If the Transtab powers up and you can hear the fan, I can't recall if a timer had to be connected or not to get the bulbs on. Neg carrriers or inserts can be found so I wouldn't worry about that. You also need to loosen the knobs (located by the bottom of the column on either side) that lock the elevation and focus controls, otherwise you're grinding the mechanism.

This is imo, one of the best 4x5 and smaller enlargers out there and the bottom mounted focus and elevation knobs are the icing on the cake and make it easier to adjust image size. I'd get it if I were you, and well worth the work cleaning up.

Also, what's the Colour 500 and six channel thing ?
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Great news! Thank you!
    The Transtab only has a center plug for the timer and one for the color head on the lower left corner.
    The Colour 500 was some sort of color analyzer with sensors were the lens attaches.

OHHHH I forgot... there are NO lens boards either. It's definitely a project!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12493925_10207446728719668_7063440861080157516_o-3.jpg  

you can get parts like lens boards and neg inserts etc from either KHB (based in Ontario, Canada) or that auction site. fwiw, I would put that 500 unit in storage, but then I only print b/w.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Yes, I've seen those but they are rather pricey and much rather save some $$

The DeVere 405 is the best chassis ever made

You can wall mount or bench by removing the base and using short knobs

Be careful with the springs, they can bite

A common problem is notchy height and focus adjustments from dried grease in the bearings, wash them out in situ with degreaser and regrease

It has excellent adjustment screws, that can make it PERFECT

Get ONE 135 mm enlarging lens and one lens board to match

Read on this forum and make a better B+W Head, Colour is dead

Make Matboard film carriers, add complications as needed

The upright is also used with their 5X7 and 8X10

I have one

I bought mine in 2 parts

before shipping became $$$

Very rare in USA, made in UK
    Tin Can

Daniel, that';s pretty fancy furniture it's sitting on for a darkroom!

Enjoy your project.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

You will either need to use a DeVere 1955 Universal timer, or better yet, use any timer with the KHB timer interphase cord. for a 120V Transtab well worth the money:

http://store.khbphotografix.com/De-V...Interface.html

As already noted, probably the best enlarger you can buy!! You can find lens boards on the auction site. What lens will you use on it, that will determine whether you will need flat or recessed boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.E View Post
    I was hoping for a 504 that just needed cleaning up and ready to go, but I'm not sure I can take the project of hunting down parts. My questions are...

1. How is the baseboard attached to the chassis?
    2. What would you do in my case?
    I'd have a baseboard fabricated. It attches to it with some 1/4-20 bolts I believe to the frame. Why don't you post some photos of what you actually have so we can help you better. If you want, you can pm me your phone and I'll call you with some help. L
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 12-Sep-2023 at 08:30.

Wow thank you so much!! I asked the owner to send me picture of everything. I should have taken a couple myself, just didn't think of it.
    It was basically, the chassis, the light source, the transtab, the universal carrier, and half a mask for 6x6, and half a mask for 6x7.

I found also that RH Designs sells a cable http://rhdesigns.co.uk/product/conne...transtab-units I might get that one instead since I already use their stopclock.

I'll send you a PM once I get the picture from the seller. I appreciate it a ton, Luis!