Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uncertainty vs. Failure

Re: Uncertainty vs. Failure

As humans, we are often beset by "analysis paralysis". My very first computer programming instructor had this phrase posted on the blackboard. He often cited it when teaching us the basics of COBOL. In those days, it was fairly easy to create a fatal error resulting in a core dump. Output went to the printer which used huge amounts of paper printing nonsense. After observing it the first time, we were terrified of repeating the same error. After my first one, the instructor asked me if my heart was still beating. "Yes, it is", I replied. "Good! If no one died, then the error isn't fatal", he stated. Lesson learned!!

The best lesson was that once you made a fatal computer error, the solution was to "fix the damned problem" and get back to productive work.
    Best,
    Dennis

I'm enjoying the thought provoking and humorous responses, good things to go back and reread from time to time. Recently my 21 yr old son has taken an interest in film and darkroom, so I am seeing the whole trial and error - learning and experimenting process through the eyes of someone who doesn't carry the baggage of experience. Nice reminder of the simple joy of doing

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wagner View Post
    I'm enjoying the thought provoking and humorous responses, good things to go back and reread from time to time. Recently my 21 yr old son has taken an interest in film and darkroom, so I am seeing the whole trial and error - learning and experimenting process through the eyes of someone who doesn't carry the baggage of experience. Nice reminder of the simple joy of doing

if only we can undo all of our baggages of experience, and not listen to "experts" ... and just do ... not caring if we used the camera, incorrectly, over or under exposed, or printed something "wrong" or you know wide open instead of 3 clicks, or developed the film in the wrong developer, the wrong way, we'd be very happy. I've been trying to undo almost everything I've learned since I was 5, I've realized none of it really had to do with me.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    if only we can undo all of our baggages of experience, and not listen to "experts" ... and just do ... not caring if we used the camera, incorrectly, over or under exposed, or printed something "wrong" or you know wide open instead of 3 clicks, or developed the film in the wrong developer, the wrong way, we'd be very happy. I've been trying to undo almost everything I've learned since I was 5, I've realized none of it really had to do with me.
    You can conquer the world if you don't care what any one else thought.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    You can conquer the world if you don't care what any one else thought.
    I don't want to conquer the world ... just my fear of heights

First, you've got to commit, no?

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

When I was young I had a lot of failures. It’s been a part of my life. I looked at each time I failed and how I could prevent it from happening again in the future.

Self confidence is important so long as it doesn’t make you arrogant.

I studied with a great photographer who helped point me in a direction that lead me to success. I believe it helps to have a coach, a mentor who is willing to help. Even a few positive statements can make a world of difference, leading to success.

We should all try to practice like Toastmasters do when evaluating a persons performance when speaking before a group of people. Pat,pat,tap,tap, pat,pat. It works!

Try it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I like Kumar's quote...
    Me too
    I liked it to for providing excuses to buy more gear and spend more time browsing

Quote Originally Posted by nolindan View Post
    As only death and taxes are held to be certainties ...
    Birth and death.
    There could be no death if there was no birth
    Taxes could be avoided

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Certainty is never obtainable. Are you certain your roof won't collapse in the next five minutes?...
    How about "my roof is in-tact as of now and has been for the past few years" ?
    So it must be "certainty of the future is never obtainable" ? But in a long run it also is. Each of us know how they are going to end up. Same applies to our cameras, negatives, prints, etc...