Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Uncertainty vs. Failure

Re: Uncertainty vs. Failure

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wagner View Post
    Ran across this in an Inc. magazine article ...

I found this thought provoking because I struggle with spending too much time preparing equipment, testing processes, buying gear - all in an effort to "be able" to produce good images, but not enough time just doing it. There was more in the article regarding how to get past that, you can google the phrase and get the rest of the article.

I thought of this as I was perusing yet another forum string about 'this developer vs that' and thought "I need to just get off the computer and make a picture", but why do I struggle with inertia in doing that?

For me , it goes in cycles :
    if I have an inspiration (vision) to accomplish something (take/make photograph of something) I focus my efforts just on that and pursue it until either I run out of steam (find it worthless for whatever reason) or achieve the goal. In the process I may get inspired to do more or differently from the original intent.
    If I have no ideas or inspiration I idle (or browse ) until it comes.

Very interesting conversation!

I'm one of those who'd spend countless hours to find the right tool, the right camera BUT not for the right picture, but to satisfy a new trend of ideas and concepts running through my mind. And eventually I would find the gem.
    Some could see it as a deeeeep rabbit hole, or a form of procrastination. To those, I'd answer by saying: each of my exhibition of complete body of work has been created with a different camera, in a different format, using a different film stock to record the images. And it takes me a year in-between series.

Now, how does this relate to uncertainty vs failure? since a very young age, I was raised with few opposed ideas:
    1. failure is due to a lack of hard work vs 2. Failure is a step forward, then
    1. hard work and knowledge prepares you better to overcome uncertainty vs 2. if you don't know how to do it, just try and see what comes out, which send us back to 2. regarding failure..

It's a bit like falling when you learn how to ski: you learn how to fall, to prevent severe injuries. Falling isn't failing anymore, and it becomes a game: how to fall better. How to fall well = how to fail well, what a great idea!
    Once one's up the slope and decides to give it a shot, there's no turning back, and every cm down the slope, the level of uncertainty accelerate with the speed one is taking.. But remember: one learnt how to fall, and that, is a serious boost of confidence, which lead one to be more comfortable wit the uncertainties..

Each new camera brought me a on a new path of uncertainty: learning a new tool, but then there was the boost of confidence: I cannot fail, because my goal isn't set on a result, it is set on a process of learning and letting a new work frame take me somewhere I 've never been. It's all about learning, which is kind of taking each 1. and 2. on failure and uncertainty and making a big positive mash up.. and the ideas would then be: if you're not certain, just try. You cannot fail, because you're just trying, and one can never fail at trying..

My idiot father told me. Just put your nose to the grindstone! Never any useable advice. I was jamming his TV, as I was not allowed to watch

He also said over again again, leave that to experts

also I was never taught typing, as I would have a secretary!

I did take a typing class at work, 1990 with many secretaries

The women clacked away very quickly

I hunt and pecked slower and made no mistakes

The secretaries just looked fast
    Tin Can

What About Correcting Typos?

https://youtu.be/4uO76v2glDY?t=71
    Tin Can

I'm still trying to figure out Spellcheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out Spellcheck.
    I hate auto-caps ��

I think uncertainty is what can led to a great visual idea - if it is paired with discovery. To create a visual idea and follow through with it. Fear of failure is a possibility - also there is joy of success as a possibility. You have to try.