Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving Voice..

Giving Voice..

Inspired by the discussion on "Must your image be technical perfect ?"
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...hnical-perfect

Setting aside the technical aspects of a print image, what contribution does the image subject contribute to the print image?
    One of the prime aspects of photography is presentation of a subject. How the subject is presented in the print image how the print image is recorded has an effect of the expressiveness of the print image.. Question is, to what degree?

Bernice

Re: Giving Voice..

When many if not most folks speak of subject, they refer to a physical object in the photo. Is that what’s meant here?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    One of the prime aspects of photography is presentation of a subject...
    I'll agree as long as the subject can be a concept...not a physical object. One of main subjects of my images is the action of light on the landscape and how that shapes our perception.

I feel that a negative is not just raw material to create an image with. A created negative is just that -- a creation in of itself, and an inseperatable part of the final print. AA with his the neg as the score, the print the performance -- people who wish to create more than pretty pictures need to pay more attention to the creation of the score and not believe that some technical tricks and ability automatically creates good ones.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Is it presenting what we know about an object, something different on this look, is the object a metaphor for something else, or maybe the object is meaningless in context etc...

Let's compare it to music first... Does it affirm what we know already (song "Happy Birthday to You"), maybe something that gives a new interpretation to something ("Fascinating Rhythm"), maybe the backdrop to change, history, future like decay, growth etc (classical etc)??? Or maybe something that can't be defined (like celestial jazz/experimental music etc)...

Or maybe like writing... A note in your pocket can read "bring home a loaf of bread", or might start with "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"...

I think the outside shooter should learn to recognize patterns one might encounter and listen carefully (quietly)... One is exposed to an alternate reality (from their own), and recognize/respond to what is playing out before them... Applying too many preconceptions there may make one miss the show... Beware of what you think you understand about it vs what it can tell you...

Steve K

Any thought capture is communication, maybe one to some or a book, map, stele

Use your toe, draw a line in sand, is it property, art, communication

almost all critters leave a 'mark' even in the sea

Our neg, print are separate objects

Is a bird nest 'art' 'home' a temporary MARK

a better question

what is money and why
    Tin Can

Sometimes the subject is the subject.
    Sometimes the OOF highlights in the background are the subject.
    Sometimes the lighting is the subject.
    Sometimes the technique or medium is the subject.
    Sometimes the physical 'print' is the subject.
    Sometimes the photographer's state of mind is the subject.... i.e. 'equivalents'.
    Sometimes the title is the subject.
    Sometimes the 'Artist Statement' is the subject.
    Sometimes the celebrity status of the photographer is the subject.

<shrug>

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    a better question

what is money and why
    Money is stored time and effort. And the plunder of thieves.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

I don't even like an obvious subject. Leave that kind of thing for advertising photography or a portrait commission. Fine in its place, but otherwise, the whole notion devolves into crass stereotypes.

It's possible for the subject intended by the photographer and the subject as perceived by the viewer to be two different things. I think it only matters if the artist is particularly sensitive about the intended subject. Maybe they would be disturbed if the viewers aren't "getting it." Or maybe they like for it to be like a Rorschach? It could be argued that all art is essentially a Rorschach anyway, but there are those moments where artist and viewers are in accord and feel the moment of the intended subject together. I've been reading several things by William Mortensen lately, and it seems he was concerned about the subject being intentionally presented in a way the viewer and artist would be seeing the same thing. I'm not completely of that same mindset myself, I like the feeling of being able to let go of a piece of work and allow it to be interpreted as others see fit. But, I find Mortensen's overall attitude toward image making very interesting and good food for thought in any case.

A basic portrait problem is mirror image

I could never make one lady happy until I reversed image

A good friend that used a mirror constantly

Men including me, are oblivious

Mirror mirror, who is most fair
    Tin Can