Thread: Photostock Festival 2022 was spectacular

Photostock Festival 2022 was spectacular

I just returned from this year's version of Photostock Festival, a multi-day informal gathering of different types of photographers - but well represented by large format photographers. This event has been put on for over 20 years by Bill Schwab of North Light Photography Studio. I learned of it from his YouTube channel and have been wanting to go for years. (to be clear - this event has nothing to do with "photostock" issues, it is a pun on "Woodstock" and evokes the informal nature of the event.)

The location this year remained in upper Michigan but moved to a new site, the spectacularly beautiful and tiny village of Cross Village, right on Lake Michigan. I can image a more beautiful spot. There were demos, lectures, print show, print exchange for the 50 some people who came this year. But most of the time was spent under the trees in casual and friendly conversation. This is a great place to connect and meet people who like to talk and share about photography as much as you do. Great turn out of about 50 people.

Looking forward to the event in 2023. What the Facebook page for updates.

Re: Photostock Festival 2022 was spectacular

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisF View Post
    I just returned from this year's version of Photostock Festival, a multi-day informal gathering of different types of photographers - but well represented by large format photographers. This event has been put on for over 20 years by Bill Schwab of North Light Photography Studio. I learned of it from his YouTube channel and have been wanting to go for years. (to be clear - this event has nothing to do with "photostock" issues, it is a pun on "Woodstock" and evokes the informal nature of the event.)

The location this year remained in upper Michigan but moved to a new site, the spectacularly beautiful and tiny village of Cross Village, right on Lake Michigan. I can image a more beautiful spot. There were demos, lectures, print show, print exchange for the 50 some people who came this year. But most of the time was spent under the trees in casual and friendly conversation. This is a great place to connect and meet people who like to talk and share about photography as much as you do. Great turn out of about 50 people.

Looking forward to the event in 2023. What the Facebook page for updates.
    Thanks for sharing!

I have watched Bill Schwab over at YT and remember conversations with him over a decade ago at APUG.
    I spent some time in the UP of Michigan as a teenager and always wanted to make a trip back.
    Thanks to your reporting above, I will seriously consider planning a Michigan vacation around next year's Photostock event.

Kind regards,
    Darr

Darr,
    You definitely should take a trip back to the area for the beauty and try making it during Photostock 2023. These snaps give an idea of what it was like. Here is Mat Marrash doing a LF color process demo along with Stephen Takacs. The background of the shot gives you an idea of how pretty Cross Village is. The other shot is of the massive print exchange - a popular part of the program.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PhotostockMM.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	228656

Name:	PhotostockPrint.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	228655

Thank you so much!
    I am definitely going to do my best to get there in 2023!

Thank you for sharing!
    What is/are the usual date/dates of Photostock? Want to put it on the calendar for next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by popdoc View Post
    Thank you for sharing!
    What is/are the usual date/dates of Photostock? Want to put it on the calendar for next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, this was my first so I can't really say what the usual dates are. Check out the FB page https://www.facebook.com/groups/1483932891844006

This seems to be the best way to track what is going on. Bill Schwab started releasing information months before the event

Name:	PS2022.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	228830

Name:	PS2022C.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	228831