Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Images from my June 2022 Road Trip

Re: Images from my June 2022 Road Trip

A Wyoming Ground Squirrel being suspicious of my Hasselblad
    T.A. Moulton Barn at Grand Teton National Park (80mm w/ R25 filter):

As an aside, these guys were popping up and running around all over the place. A big family came while I was photographing and scared them all away, but when they left this one popped up and was checking out if the coast was clear. I very slowly got closer and carefully lowered my tripod to get this framed up, expecting him to scamper off, but he posed just long enough for me to fire off one frame at I think 1/4 of a second. I tried to get a little closer but he finally had had enough and ducked into his hole.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I love it, an action image!

This raises the question

We know now you shot a lot and quickly

How many cameras and lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post

As an aside, these guys were popping up and running around all over the place. A big family came while I was photographing and scared them all away, but when they left this one popped up and was checking out if the coast was clear. I very slowly got closer and carefully lowered my tripod to get this framed up, expecting him to scamper off, but he posed just long enough for me to fire off one frame at I think 1/4 of a second. I tried to get a little closer but he finally had had enough and ducked into his hole.
    Tin Can

So the cameras I used on this trip were:

35mm film:
    Leica M6 with 7.5mm fisheye 15mm 25mm 35mm 50mm
    Nikon F2 and Nikon F3 with 8mm and 16mm fisheyes, 15mm, 25-50mm, 80-200mm
    Widelux F7

120 film:
    Hasselblad 503cx with 40mm 80mm 150mm
    Noblex 150U
    Horseman 6x12 back for 4x5

4x5 film:
    Shen-Hao with 58mm 90mm 150mm 240mm 8 3/4 Verito

I also had some other cameras for backup that I didn't use, like my Speed Graphic and 3D-printed ultrawide camera. Oh and I did pack my D800 digital for night/star images but never used it (I needed to sleep, at some point ).

I generally chose one size of film for a given location. 35mm was just for quick casual shots and for shots in big cities, the Hasselblad for a lot of places where I didn't know what I was looking for but it looked like an interesting landscape, and 4x5 for the places I knew should have some good images and I wanted to really focus on getting photographs there. Sometimes I shot a little on one or the other camera and then went back to my car to get something different. I think I could generally be happy with the Hasselblad for most any location, hence the # of shots I took with it.

Lines and Buildings
    Somewhere in Phoenix, AZ
    Nikon F3 / 25-50mm

^^^ Like!!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post

I've seen this photo of the cabin and mountains a hundred times but never with a squirrel. Good catch. None of that ordinary stuff we always see.

While we're on our Moultan barn wildlife photos, here's one I got years ago with a buffalo sticking his head out from the right side of the barn.
    moulton-buffalo copy by Thad Gerheim, on Flickr
    This was from a Toyo 4x5 I don't remember the lens but I do remember how funny it was to watch about ten other photographers show up after I had my 4x5 set up and was having coffee on the tailgate of my truck. They saw where my camera was and thought that must be the place to get the photo from and lined up on each side of me, leaving about 10 feet as not to crowd me.
    Thad Gerheim

I have to admit that when I was in the area with my 8x10, I did not go to the barn. I already have hundreds of negatives I'll never print (of which some are barns)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PumpHouseArcataBottoms.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

The peeking buffalo is fun! I saw a couple of wild buffalos near the road, trotting along, which was interesting.

When I drove up to the barn, no one was around. I grabbed my camera and by the time I had setup and started making some images a ton of folks had driven up and parked, and the family I mentioned earlier actually all crowded around just in front of where I was setup to take selfies! At least they left fairly quickly.

I know the barn is pretty overdone but I always look for interesting or unusual items around the area, a different perspective, and other ways to make images that reflect my personal style and ideas (since I know you're reading RL, if you'd like to make comments you can feel free to email me directly).

I would definitely like to spend some more times in the Tetons. I didn't have the energy to do a whole lot. I'd like to see some of the lakes. And also go to Yellowstone of course!

Old barn images are hard to pass up. Growing up on the left coast, anything with a bit of age draws our attention. While at university, I lived in a building built in 1885, hand-forged nails and all. I thought it was pretty old at the time. Going to my son's graduation, I was driving from Mass. to Ithica, NY just before the leaves came out, I saw more old barns, crumbling road houses, and such than I have in my life in the west. And I have not been to Europe.

But the gopher or ground squirrel does make the image. I might print this 11x14 negative some day in Pt/pd. It has a nice lizard up in the window. The first, or more likely, the second oldest national park building in Zion NP (bathroom in an old campground). Angels Landing in the back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OldestZionBuilding.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China