Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Images from my June 2022 Road Trip

Re: Images from my June 2022 Road Trip

I really like the soft focus effect for night lights. Will have to try this around Christmas.

More color. Zabriskie sunrise:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Bryan. How do you keep track of all the different films you use and not screw up something while exposing them?

I brought 3 backs for my Hasselblad. One was marked for b&w film and I only used Delta 100, or, HP5+ when I was hand-holding in the city. Since I was shooting so much film, there was no time to forget which b&w film I had loaded. I only shot 4 rolls of HP5+, but 16 or so rolls of Delta 100. The second was for color film. I shot 4 rolls of Kodak Gold 200 then one roll of Portra 160. The final film back was exclusively for infrared film, which I shot 3 rolls of and haven't developed.

For my 35mm I only shot T-Max 100 in my F3. In my Widelux I only shot Tri-X except one roll of T-Max 100 which got ruined when the back popped off accidentally...might recover a few images but haven't developed that. I also shot a couple rolls in my F2 at night with Tri-X. Anyway it was pretty easy to keep track of since the films were dedicated to each camera. Oh, the rolls were bulk-rolled and I have 2 bulk roll types, all black and a white-labeled can. Black cans are ALWAYS T-Max 100 (I've done that for years) and the white-labeled cans were Tri-X (and I can write on the label if needed).

4x5 film, where to start...all the Grafmatics were T-Max 100, easy. I had 20 or 30 normal film holders and I wrote either "Portra," "E6 (Velvia)", or "Efke" on them, and then had some additional unmarked ones that were all additional T-Max 100 if needed. All Portra in 4x5 was 400 speed. I had a 4x5 film holder bag attached to my backpack with one Grafmatic and two each of the other 3 films, and replenished as needed. See this for the bag I carried the 4x5 film in.

So yes I had a lot of films but kept them fairly well marked and organized. I hope that convoluted system makes sense haha .

One of the most amazing sunrises I've ever seen. This was about 5:30am, driving on Tioga Pass Rd. going to Yosemite NP on June 12th. I had to stop and shoot this, but Yosemite requires reservations if you want to enter the park after 6am and I was running late due to my car tire being deflated that morning. So after popping off two frames (bracketing) I booked it to the entrance gate and got there at like 5:55 (I did not have a reservation!). If I would've had more time I might've broken out the 4x5 and shot a sheet of Velvia but this came out pretty well!

Hasselblad / 40mm / Kodak Gold 200

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I brought 3 backs for my Hasselblad. One was marked for b&w film and I only used Delta 100, or, HP5+ when I was hand-holding in the city. Since I was shooting so much film, there was no time to forget which b&w film I had loaded. I only shot 4 rolls of HP5+, but 16 or so rolls of Delta 100. The second was for color film. I shot 4 rolls of Kodak Gold 200 then one roll of Portra 160. The final film back was exclusively for infrared film, which I shot 3 rolls of and haven't developed.

For my 35mm I only shot T-Max 100 in my F3. In my Widelux I only shot Tri-X except one roll of T-Max 100 which got ruined when the back popped off accidentally...might recover a few images but haven't developed that. I also shot a couple rolls in my F2 at night with Tri-X. Anyway it was pretty easy to keep track of since the films were dedicated to each camera. Oh, the rolls were bulk-rolled and I have 2 bulk roll types, all black and a white-labeled can. Black cans are ALWAYS T-Max 100 (I've done that for years) and the white-labeled cans were Tri-X (and I can write on the label if needed).

4x5 film, where to start...all the Grafmatics were T-Max 100, easy. I had 20 or 30 normal film holders and I wrote either "Portra," "E6 (Velvia)", or "Efke" on them, and then had some additional unmarked ones that were all additional T-Max 100 if needed. All Portra in 4x5 was 400 speed. I had a 4x5 film holder bag attached to my backpack with one Grafmatic and two each of the other 3 films, and replenished as needed. See this for the bag I carried the 4x5 film in.

So yes I had a lot of films but kept them fairly well marked and organized. I hope that convoluted system makes sense haha .
    I still have 4x5 holders with Provia, Velvia 50, Tmax 100 and Tmax 400 and Ektachrome. I use a little self-stick tag on each holder. Frankly, I'm nuts doing this. I have to simplify with just a couple of films. My brain hurts. Age I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    One of the most amazing sunrises I've ever seen. This was about 5:30am, driving on Tioga Pass Rd. going to Yosemite NP on June 12th. I had to stop and shoot this, but Yosemite requires reservations if you want to enter the park after 6am and I was running late due to my car tire being deflated that morning. So after popping off two frames (bracketing) I booked it to the entrance gate and got there at like 5:55 (I did not have a reservation!). If I would've had more time I might've broken out the 4x5 and shot a sheet of Velvia but this came out pretty well!

Hasselblad / 40mm / Kodak Gold 200

That's a great shot. Thirty-some odd years ago I was driving in the same place on Tioga coming in from the east like you and Mono Lake. My girlfriend (now wife) and I had just filled up the gas tank. I think we were at 12,000 feet when the rental started to sputter and the car couldn't get any higher. I was sorry I didn't put in high test gas, just regular. Anyway, we finally got the car started and once over the top, the engine worked fine coming down the "hill". I caught the Half Dome with a similar shot only from sunset. I was shooting a Mamiya RB67 medium format with Agfa Optima film.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/alankl...7625476289859/

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I still have 4x5 holders with Provia, Velvia 50, Tmax 100 and Tmax 400 and Ektachrome. I use a little self-stick tag on each holder. Frankly, I'm nuts doing this. I have to simplify with just a couple of films. My brain hurts. Age I suppose.
    I place each 4x5 and 8x10 holder in a ziplock bag. Even thought I usually shoot only 1 film type at a time, always BW, I place a small piece of paper in each bag identifying that the film. After exposure I put the exposure record inside the bag with the holder.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

Drew Wiley

Alan, there are no road passes in CA over 10,000. There are in Colorado. We do have many foot passes considerably higher. The highest peak visible from the Tioga Pass Rd is Mt Dana, slightly over 12,000 and not quite visible in the posted picture. The highest peak in Yosemite NP is Mt Lyell, slightly over 13,000. It's really south of Yosemite NP that the range trends still higher. The highest gravel road accessible to passenger cars in CA is about 11,000 ft into the Bristlecone Pine preserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Alan, there are no road passes in CA over 10,000. There are in Colorado. We do have many foot passes considerably higher. The highest peak visible from the Tioga Pass Rd is Mt Dana, slightly over 12,000 and not quite visible in the posted picture. The highest peak in Yosemite NP is Mt Lyell, slightly over 13,000. It's really south of Yosemite NP that the range trends still higher. The highest gravel road accessible to passenger cars in CA is about 11,000 ft into the Bristlecone Pine preserve.
    I thought it was 12,000. But you're right. It actually was 9,945 ft. In any case, my rental car just couldn't handle it very well.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tioga_Pass

Point Arena Lighthouse:

My friend Jim, after seeing the cell phone pic I took at this place, decided he'd like to paint it. I won't post the pic of his painting here but you can see it at this link I believe.