Thread: Question on height adjusters on Epson V850 4x5 negative holder

Question on height adjusters on Epson V850 4x5 negative holder

I am wondering how to know how to decide which of the very crudley and cheaply created "notches" in the height adjusters in the Epson V850 4x5 negative holder to use? I am scanning black and white negatives. Is it simply trial and error? Epson states the default setting is 3mm or the second notch from the lowest.

The whole thing is such a piece of junk; the adjusters are constantly moving, but i am extremely careful when using it, and it still happens all the time. I added tiny pieces of tape to the adjusters to keep them in one notch, the default one, at least for now. The scans look pretty good, but maybe they could be better?

thanks

Re: Question on height adjusters on Epson V850 4x5 negative holder

Quote Originally Posted by Terence Falk View Post
    I am wondering how to know how to decide which of the very crudley and cheaply created "notches" in the height adjusters in the Epson V850 4x5 negative holder to use? I am scanning black and white negatives. Is it simply trial and error? Epson states the default setting is 3mm or the second notch from the lowest.

The whole thing is such a piece of junk; the adjusters are constantly moving, but i am extremely careful when using it, and it still happens all the time. I added tiny pieces of tape to the adjusters to keep them in one notch, the default one, at least for now. The scans look pretty good, but maybe they could be better?

thanks
    I checked each of the different settings by scanning and then seeing which was the best in focus. One of my 4x5s holders was at the the default setting and the other holder was in the middle. Maybe an error on my part. But definitely check them. I did see a big focus difference with settings between two marks.

I then used a magic marker to mark each of the sliders so i can easily see they are set properly for subsequent scans.

Re: Question on height adjusters on Epson V850 4x5 negative holder

Nick Carver on YouTube has several video's on scanning with the epson printer which is worth checking out. He talks about setting the notches for the best image. It's essentially a trial an error thing like Alan mentioned. I would recommend getting one of those white sharpie pens and marking the bar so it's easier to see where you are. When you find your sweet spot to mark that as well because they can shift real easy