Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reveni Labs Remote Control Mechanical Shutter Release

Reveni Labs Remote Control Mechanical Shutter Release

https://www.reveni-labs.com/shop/p/r...hutter-release

https://www.reveni-labs.com/remote-c...tter-release-2

I pre-ordered one of these in February; it arrived today.

Just loaded batteries and tested it on a lens in Copal 3. It worked fine, with a couple of quirks. First, the motor makes an obvious whirring sound, so this isn't for situations where you need to be ultra-quiet. And second, it takes about a second for the plunger to complete its travel and release the shutter, and about another second for the plunger to retract, so this is not for situations where you need to have precise, instantaneous control over the moment at which the shutter will open.

Extension and retraction of the plunger are separate actions, activated by separate buttons on the remote control. The advantage of this arrangement is that the release is usable not only for instantaneous speeds but also with the shutter set on bulb, though in timing the exposure you need to take into account the delay in retracting the plunger.

Also tested it on a Pentax SL. Worked fine with that as well, on both instantaneous speeds and B.

I've long wished for a remote release that could work with mechanical shutters more reliably and at longer range than an air-bulb release. Even with its quirks, I'm very happy to have this one.

Re: Reveni Labs Remote Control Mechanical Shutter Release

hmmm, 1-2 second delay is much better than the usual screw in timed releases I've got. The price is in Cdn which means it's super cheap for U.S. buyers. Might need to add this to my camera bag, thanks for the heads up Oren.
    Last edited by Fred L; 26-Jun-2022 at 05:48.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Very good!
    Tin Can

Gee, I wonder if hey can increase the stroke length and turn an adapter to attach to a sinar shutter. Hmmmm

Mine is inching its way to sunny Melbourne. I can hardly wait. I have been press-ganging my family into 4x5/8x10 group portraits for many years, and having these without a long rubber cable visible will be a delight.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Looks good! I ordered on that I intend to use on wildlife, especially turtles. After I have set up the camera, which will spook them off their log, I can retreat and wait for them to return for their portraits.

mine was shipped out today ! hopefully a quick trip across the country and in my dirty mitts this week

Well mine came in the mail today ! Shipping was faster than I thought but then I saw that they're in the same province, maybe 2-3 hours away.

The receiver unit is pretty hefty which is a nice change from 3d printed stuff that's everywhere. Just needed 2 AA batteries and I was good to go (they even included a small Phillips screwdriver).

Not much to add to Oren's review other than personal opinions.

The plunge is only a second ± after hitting the release. Same with retraction, which is something I need to get used to because it would be very easy to expose a sheet accidentally with the release locked in. As long as I retract it right away, it shouldn't be a problem.

I placed the receiver/plunger unit on the bed of the camera below the bellows but will probably use a loop of static cord and maybe a small 'biner to attach it somewhere, but that would be more to take pressure off the release cable and socket.

What I do see becoming a habit is perhaps using this instead of cable releases unless I really needed precise timing. It's nice not being attached like an umbilical cord and I can stand away from the camera and tripod. All I have to try now is using it with bulb exposures but don't see it working any differently.

I wasn't big fan of their spot meters but this is a winner !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reveni2.jpg  

One thing to keep an eye on will be battery life. The instruction sheet says ~100 triggers, which isn't all that much, and it will be a nuisance to change batteries in the field.

the AA batteries won't be too bad, but if I need to swap out batteries on the remote trigger....those screws are small and I think too small for the included driver. guessing it shld last longer since it's just sending a signal, like a car remote.