Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with new Arca Swiss F-Line Field

Help with new Arca Swiss F-Line Field

You just slide the carriers on the rail until the gears engage and use the knobs to position them. They will move all the way along the rail, so it doesn't matter which end you put them on, just be sure that the orientation is right as in the photos on my site (www.tomwestbrook.com/Photography/as_photos.html).

Hi Tom,

Ok I will try but its very very stiff and like I said the gear barrel inside the carrier appears to be lower than the rail so I assume its spring loaded or something yet it doesn't seem to give when I push it.

Can you also confirm that the friction focus knob needs to be fully wound out before mounting is possible?

Thanks

Julian

Julian:

The gears are spring suspended. Before sliding the carriers onto the rail, make sure the locking knobs, the outer knobs surrounding the focusing knobs, are loose.

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

So by 'spring tensioned' do you mean that if I turn the carrier upside down and press the gear barrel downwards it should give a little due to the spring tension?

I did try that and found there was no give even with the locking knobs fully loose.

BTW, when the locking knob is fully loose, the geared focus appears stiffer to turn, is that your experience too?

Thanks

Julian

Julian:

Don't loosen the locking knob so much it binds against the end of its travel. With the locking knob fairly loose, you should be able to wiggle the focusing knob, and the pinion gear should wiggle with it.

Glenn

Ok thanks Glenn,

The purpose of that knob is just to lock focus in place right?

Julian

"Finally can others confirm that the 'manual' is literally one photocopied sheet showing the assembled camera with no assembly instructions at all? That's all I have or is there a page missing?"

One page is all there is. You have the complete manual.

Thanks Greg,

All my questions and frustration could have been answered with a page of assembly instructions included with the camera - lets hope the camera makes up for their lack of care in this area then!

I guess I expected something like this in a way from what I had read about their lack of documentation and contact but didn't realise it would be this poor really.

Julian

It's unbelieveable isn't it? That a product so refined is so carelessly presented to the owner. They are still the nicest cameras IMHO.

Hello:

The Arca is very straight forward and simple - but not compleatly intuitive. I have one caution: be sure the 8.5cm mounting block has the locking lever (it flips out and is adjustable) set tight when flipped down. There should be no slippage between it and the focusing rail.

yours
    Frank Johnston