Thread: Acadia! Tell me where to go, live vicariously through me!

Talking Acadia! Tell me where to go, live vicariously through me!

I'll be in Acadia national park for the first time next week, which I am very excited about. This is also the first time I've been to a national park since I reached a pretty proficient level with my photography, so I am especially eager to capture something special, if I'm lucky. I'd love any recommendations as to where (and maybe when) I might shoot some nice landscapes!

I'll have my Fuji GX680 (6x8 120 SLR with front movements), a 30mm equivalent lens, a couple normal lenses, and a 69mm equivalent (as per Fuji's official specs). Two backs, plenty of options for film, and some filters. Various metering options. Slightly under-specced tripod with a good head. Probably some other nonsense for good measure. In other words, I'm reasonably well-equipped.

Re: Acadia! Tell me where to go, live vicariously through me!

thunder hole.

get on their hiking trails

cadalac mountain

Do the loop early in the morning...and stop at Sand Beach before it gets crowded - and walk its length to the left and you will find a trail which, within a few minutes, will take you high up so you can look back and down upon the beach and adjacent coastline - a great view!
    (Later Edit: there may be some restrictions to island park loop access - like after certain hours you might need to hop on a bus - like at Zion park, but I'm not sure about this. Anyone?)

Also (and/or) stop at Cobble Beach - walk down to this on a long flight of wood steps. The cobbles themselves are great to photograph, plus if you walk a bit further...as you round a bend you will find some interesting rock forms. A few nice drift-woody dead trees are usually around also. Plus this beach never seems to get crowded (but have not been back in a few years).

A turnout before Otter Cliffs, and across the road to a coastal trail which offers lots of good lookouts, and access to get down close to the water with great surf and rocks.

Also, the coastal area which is accessed by the trail from Blackwoods Campground - a great place to watch the sunrise and take photos, but I've only accessed this when I've had a campsite there, and I don't know if you can have such access otherwise.

Great views back onto Sand Beach from the summit of Gotham Mountain (great blueberries also - but I think you might be too early for these).

Oh, and if you happen to be getting hungry about the time you come around to Jordan Pond - then by all means indulge in a plate of their famous popovers with tea...not to be missed - and the hike around Jordan Pond is very rewarding!
    (Later Edit: I seem to remember that if you take the Around Jordan Pond trail counterclockwise, you will soon cross a footbridge with a swampy/pond-y area on your right...and if its foggy out this can be a great place for photos - taken right from the footbridge).

Sieur De Monts spring is also worth a visit, nice gardens and brook, a nice small museum for a bit of local history, and the spring house itself. Also always cooler here if the weather is hot!

If you find yourself in the town of Bar Harbor, there is an island (Bar Island) which is accessible only by foot, and only while the tide is low. If you time this right you'll have three or four hours before you get stranded - which gives you time to take a nice trail with some nice picnic spots, views, and some interesting dead trees in old fields.
    (Later Edit: If you walk along the shoreline below the big fancy hotel in town (Bar Harbor Inn, I think), you might find some really interesting flat(ish) rocks at ground level - with lots of interesting forms and colors).

If you have a bit more time...then by all means drive over to Southwest Harbor and beyond this to the little village of Seawall. There is a great picnic area there with some nice views.

Finally, Cadillac Mountain is a wonderful place to take in the sunrise, but I think these days the access is somehow more restricted in some way than in the past so you'd better check into this (or maybe someone here who's visited more recently can chime in).

Oh...and if you're driving, you will most likely be coming up through Ellsworth - and just before coming into town you will see a sign for the Chicken Barn Antiques and Flea Market, which is truly not to be missed!

Have a great trip!
    Last edited by John Layton; 25-Jun-2022 at 09:30.

Everything John said. Also, Southwest, Northeast and Seal Harbor area. Very scenic, rich areas, Martha Stewart lives in Seal. Had great lobster stew in Northeast Harbor. Took an eco tour out of Bass Harbor, very good. Not good for your camera
    Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

Thank you all for the suggestions! Jordon Pond and Sieur de Monts sound like charming areas I might have missed otherwise. I'll be sure to let you all know if I capture anything worth sharing

Fresh hot blueberry pie a la mode with coffee at Jordan Pond- a must!!!!

Abel’s Lobster Pound
    Mount Desert Island by Bar Harbor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicholas O. Lindan

A vicarious hike through Acadia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qodWyY7Z58g
    Darkroom Automation / Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
    f-Stop Timers & Enlarging meters http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Also (and/or) stop at Cobble Beach - walk down to this on a long flight of wood steps. The cobbles themselves are great to photograph, plus if you walk a bit further...as you round a bend you will find some interesting rock forms. A few nice drift-woody dead trees are usually around also. Plus this beach never seems to get crowded (but have not been back in a few years).
    You may be thinking of Little Hunters Beach. Cobble Beach is elsewhere on the island. Little Hunters Beach was probably my favorite spot, especially with a bit of fog/mist. I also second your recommendation of Jordan Pond for photos AND popovers; just be prepared to battle the bees for the jam.

I'll add Otter Point to what's already been suggested; late afternoon is probably the best light.

All vehicle access to Cadillac mountain is now done by reservation through October 22nd, to reduce crowding. There is a separate reservation for sunrise, and timed reservations for the rest of the day. 30% of the reservations are released 90 days in advance, with the remaining 70% available two days in advance, starting at 10am Eastern time. I checked a couple weeks ago to see how fast the sunrise reservations lasted; they were gone within 45 seconds. Timed reservations for the rest of the day don't go nearly that quickly.

Go to www.recreation.gov for the reservations, and sign up. If you're trying to get a sunrise spot, log in before 10am, and be ready. Once you put the reservation in your cart, you're given 15 minutes to complete it.

...yes, Little Hunters Beach - wonderful in the morning with a bit of backlit fog!

Didn't think of YouTube until nolindan brought it up. You can follow this couple https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lof9u3nTDDw and their travels around Acadia. They actually have a few videos.
    Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems