Thread: Question for Durst L1200 Users: Mask under Adaptor Plate for Femoneg

Question for Durst L1200 Users: Mask under Adaptor Plate for Femoneg

Hello, I have been curious about this mask that is installed under the adaptor plate that the Femoneg slides into. It has odd dimensions that don’t seem to correspond to any standard film size, and there is no mention of the part in either manual for the L1200 that I have pdfs for. Could anyone familiar with the L1200 explain what this mask is for? For what it’s worth, I removed it while printing 4x5 negatives because it cut into the projected image slightly. It didn’t seem to hurt anything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8EB7B17A-6868-41E2-9BCE-9B5B0B6514C3.jpg  

Re: Question for Durst L1200 Users: Mask under Adaptor Plate for Femoneg

Quote Originally Posted by mpålsson View Post
    ...Could anyone familiar with the L1200 explain what this mask is for? For what it’s worth, I removed it while printing 4x5 negatives because it cut into the projected image slightly. It didn’t seem to hurt anything.
    I'm sure it was put in to cut down the light beam by someone printing smaller than 4x5 negatives. I'd just leave it off and use the enlarger without it. L

Same for me.
    I removed completely.

Inviato dal mio RMX3241 utilizzando Tapatalk
    Mario

Doesn't removing it create a light leak?

Mine's left in all the time.

Mike

I didn’t really notice anything printing at 11x14 or 16x20 with all the masking arms of the Femoneg engaged. Recently, however, I tested the enlarger’s horizontal projection feature. While projecting the image onto a wall, the Femoneg’s left and right masking arms were fully retracted. As a result, I noticed some odd reflections (maybe off the edges of the Femoneg carrier) just beyond the image area of the negative. You can see below. I’m not sure whether the mask would have blocked these reflections, though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8C637526-4506-420B-A8EB-8C1A669EB867.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	228737

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    Doesn't removing it create a light leak?

Mine's left in all the time.

Mike

I also leave mine in and rotate it when changing print orientation from landscape to portrait. However, care needs to be taken that your masking frame will allow for larger print sizes without obstruction by the enlarger column. I use the Saunders 4 blade.

I believe the mask/baffle will need to be removed for the purpose of using the Femobox 550, which has a 5x5" light mixing box area. I'm not sure why the Femobox 550 was created, perhaps as a solution to the orientation issue.

The mask/baffle may also have a purpose when using the milone/febidap adapter.