Thread: Schneider 90mm f8 in Sinar DB in copal shutter?

Schneider 90mm f8 in Sinar DB in copal shutter?

I've been seeing a lot Schneider lenses in Sinar DB mount that sell for relatively cheap on used gear sites recently (here's an example: https://usedphotopro.com/schneider-9...67097-035e99ba let me know if it's not ok to link to it and I'll remove the link!), and I was wondering if it was possible to mount these in regular shutters instead? I've searched the forum and found answers to a couple of similar questions, but never about a Schneider 90mm specifically. Mostly I'm wondering:

- Can this be mounted in a copal shutter?
    - What size shutter would I need?
    - Would it require a custom aperture scale?

Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Schneider 90mm f8 in Sinar DB in copal shutter?

0 shutter. The proper aperture scale is easily added as the two scales on the shutter are held on with 2 small screws.

Yes, but unless the aperture scale on the donor shutter is the same focal length, you’ll need a new scale. If the donor shutter is from some of the Japanese brands—Nikkor, Fuji—it’s a little more difficult because the old scale is printed on the body, not on a removable band as Bob mentions.

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    Yes, but unless the aperture scale on the donor shutter is the same focal length, you’ll need a new scale. If the donor shutter is from some of the Japanese brands—Nikkor, Fuji—it’s a little more difficult because the old scale is printed on the body, not on a removable band as Bob mentions.
    Nikon and Fuji didn’t make shutters. Maybe you meant Seiko?

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    I can't speak to all Fuji & Nikon lenses, but all the ones I've seen have had metal, screw-on scales. The Fujinons I've seen all have a small number on the end, for example 54, indicating what lens(es) it can be used on. I've never seen a list cross-referencing these scales and lenses, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Nikon and Fuji didn’t make shutters. Maybe you meant Seiko?
    They are Copal shutters, but the aperture is silk screened onto the body. Every Copal shutter I have with a Nikkor or Fujinon lens has the scale silk screened on the body.

Edit: I don’t have any of my own photos, but see the Nikkor in this for sale listing, vs the Schneider in the same listing: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...MINT-condition

Here's a Fujinon C 300mm in a Copal. It's not mine, but exactly like mine -- and all my other Fujinons:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuji300cf85copal.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	228581

If the scale is "silk-screen", "stenciled", "painted" on, your only option would be to stick a scale over it -- somehow, made out of something.

On Nikkor lenses, the band goes around the entire shutter and is held by two screws. On Copal 0 and 1 shutters, the screws also hold the shutter release cable socket. On Copal 3 shutters the screws are on either side of the flash sync socket. The focal length is printed on the band, and the alphabet 'S' in a circle indicates the latest version shutter with seven aperture blades.

On Fuji lenses, the bands are shorter and are held by two screws. Their length and shape differ across lenses.

Kumar