Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Must your image be technical perfect ?

multiplex

Re: Must your image be technical perfect ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    I love this thread. I’ve just looked at some of my “rejects” with more forgiving eyes.

I don't know if I would call the edited negatives &c rejects. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at old negatives I made, edited them out of the final cut,
    and with time and different eyes I realized that negatives I passed over was even better than the one I originally chose.

Drew Wiley

I do that a lot too, and dig through old negs and chromes, and wonder why I passed over some, but printed ones which now seem less worthy. Some of it just had to do with the learning curve and nature of available papers, and setting aside images which would have been difficult to print back then, but aren't now. Dunno. I only have time and a materials budget to print just a small percent anyway. I like to work precise; but "perfect" has nothing to do with it. It that were mandatory, I would have given up before I started.

I hung a wet print on my wall for a year

Then inverted it

Much better!
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

I'm going to drymount another diptych, this time two identical prints, one above the other, but one right-side up, the other upside-down.

Works for Damien Hirst. Why not Drew Wiley?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I'm going to drymount another diptych, this time two identical prints, one above the other, but one right-side up, the other upside-down.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Works for Damien Hirst. Why not Drew Wiley?
    Couldn't agree more.. do what you want, but I wouldn't dry mount them that's the devil's cheese.

Drew Wiley

Ahhh... But for dancing in Polka dots, don't you need an accordion? Time to repurpose your camera bellows.

you shoot however you like. its art or documentry, in or out of focus, it can be anything you like.... it is what your minds eye sees.

I don't mean to be critical of an honest question, but i always find this question rather bizarre.

Who would be in a position to dictate to anyone what the criteria for a valid photograph is?

If you want to paint yourself with liquid emulsion and run around naked and then into a pool of developer and call it photography, its no less valid than an ansel adams pic. (actually i saw a cool exhibit of light painting directly onto paper recently. It was very interesting). Doesn't mean anyone will look at whatever your doing, in case thats important to you. But then again, maybe they will. Check out aperture or the british journal of photography, or even first year text books on 20th c art. That ship sailed a long long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dvdwmth@gmail.com View Post
    I don't mean to be critical of an honest question, but i always find this question rather bizarre.

Who would be in a position to dictate to anyone what the criteria for a valid photograph is?

If you want to paint yourself with liquid emulsion and run around naked and then into a pool of developer and call it photography, its no less valid than an ansel adams pic. (actually i saw a cool exhibit of light painting directly onto paper recently. It was very interesting). Doesn't mean anyone will look at whatever your doing, in case thats important to you. But then again, maybe they will. Check out aperture or the british journal of photography, or even first year text books on 20th c art. That ship sailed a long long time ago.
    The question of me came after seeing a lof of questions about DOF, how to get everything sharp, ideal development and scanning /darkroom
    It’s not willing to dictate but rather get a feeling of other peoples interests of there vision.
    So therefore who wants a perfect question, and as you can read there are a lot of different options, and it schould be.