Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Must your image be technical perfect ?

Re: Must your image be technical perfect ?

And the f64 group was not about using f64. That is a rather simplistic way of looking at the group.

No photograph is like we see. We experience the world as a gestalt of shifting focus and pupil dilations. A photograph that is all in focus and has detail in highlights and shadows is much closer to how we 'naturally' see the world than one with out-of-focus areas.

A camera/lens sort of sees like us, but we do not see anything like a camera/lens.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Since my vision is so bad, I quit driving for the safety of others

I will now make images in line with MY poor vision

no worries, hang only on my walls
    Tin Can

No rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    Have you seen Sally Mann's landscapes? I dare say they exhibit some imperfections, and for me are some of the most evocative landscape photographs I've ever seen. Others may disagree...

https://www.sallymann.com/southern-landscapes
    Yes I have, and Michael Kenna

It's not an imperfection if it's intentional.

Thinking more about this:

Is a Rubinstein performance of Chopin without merit just because he makes a mistake along the way? Especially since the interpretation and the rest of the performance are spectacularly better than just about anyone else does? I don't think so. Sometimes small imperfections are rendered unimportant by the content of the rest of the work.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for perfection, just that we should recognize when the merits of something outweigh the imperfections. I rather think Rubinstein would have liked not to make that mistake

Best,

Doremus

Heh, what is "Technically Perfect" _?_

Group f64 did alter the direction, ideology and more of photography in many ways. Except the Group f64 ideology - belief is FAR from the only image making_creation ideology - belief.

The entire everything, every item in the image must be in "sharp" focus is only one road to expression as there are a LOT more to equally effective expressive images than the Group f64 ideology - belief. Ponder what painters, cinema folks and other image makers have done beyond the Group f64 ideology - beliefs, and why they have been equally effective with their creative works produced.

~What is FAR more significant, what does the imaged created saying, sharing and telling? The image creating method/process are just a means to this end.

More important is finding your own light, finding your own voice within the limits of the foto image creation process.

Bernice

Technical perfection is a must. Who wants a gray, wrinkled, stinky, fixer laiden print with uneven borders and grain-motion artifact?

The f64 group was a response to the art-based photography of that time, and the times since then has responded to the f64 group...with such movements as the "Alternative Photography" of the 60/70s. Time marches on, bringing the old with it and mixing it in with the new.

The term alternative photography seems much different now -- instead of a movement it has become more technique...about the materials used, rather than how they are used.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Techniques and aesthetics are new & current, then they become cliché...until a new generation "discovers" them...
    Soft focus and/or narrow depth of field portraits are making/ have made a comeback, as have pictorialist alt processes.
    After a while, the Hosemaster style will return....maybe.