Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubricating movements on MPP Micro Technical mkVIII

Re: Lubricating movements on MPP Micro Technical mkVIII

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    I guess that's why the designed changed to the front levers, much easier.
    It was the other way round wasn't it? My friend has a MKVI with front levers, mine is a MKVIII with side levers

Quote Originally Posted by nolindan View Post
    I always work on a large fluffy white towel - it catches most sproings. For the stuff that lands on the floor I use a neodymium magnet in a plastic bag and sweep. And, of course, the part lost on the floor is made from brass... Maybe I'll buy another big towel and put it on the floor. Luckily springs are almost always magnetic.

As to lubricant - it is a religious topic. People will jump up and down vociferously supporting their choice. Like religion, use whatever feels best to you - whatever you pick it won't kill the camera. Some suggestions: Mineral oil, turbine oil, gun oil (pretty much these three are the same, listed in order of increasing price), high vacuum grease. I've recently become enamored of Mobil 1 synthetic grease. Stay away from 'penetrating oil' - WD40, 3in1 etc. as they gum up with age and you will just have to clean it off with lighter fluid.
    Good call on the towel!

Is silicone dry lube ok to use?

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    It was the other way round wasn't it? My friend has a MKVI with front levers, mine is a MKVIII with side levers
    I have never seen a MkVIII with side levers but to be honest I don't know for sure. I understand that some parts from damaged cameras, including front standards c/w bellows, could be reassembled to form a hybrid whole. The MPP Users Club https://mppusers.co.uk/ is supposed to be the authority on all things MPP but my membership lapsed a number of years ago so I can't ask there.