Thread: Does the Chamonix Sinar to Linhof adapter work on Ebony 8x10 cameras?

Does the Chamonix Sinar to Linhof adapter work on Ebony 8x10 cameras?

Does anyone know if the Chamonix Sinar to Linhof adapter work on Ebony cameras? I already have the Chamonix adapter (for the Chamonix), but I am switching to Ebony and wondering if it will still work. I know ebony made their own, but the camera I am getting comes without it. The Chamonix adapter does not work on Sinar bodies, so it is made to a somewhat different standard (it has a flat back, not the channel that you see on a standard Sinar board). I have not been able to find what Ebony does, so if anyone knows, I would appreciate it. The picture below is the Chamonix (on the right) and a standard Sinar board. The thickness of the Chamonix makes it look like it is larger than the Sinar...it is not...the thickness and dimensions are the same, but the rear mounting surfaces have a different design.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2566.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	228631

Re: Does the Chamonix Sinar to Linhof adapter work on Ebony 8x10 cameras?

Phillips cameras/lensboards have the same issue as Chamonix - the cameras will accept Sinar boards, but the lensboards that Dick made won't fit on Sinar cameras, for the same reason. I suspect it's true of most or all wooden 8x10 cameras that take Sinar boards, for which the manufacturers offered wooden boards.

You can get a decent look at the front standard of an Ebony 8x10 here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220628...m/185267111255

Thanks Oren. I had a look there. Thankfully did not have to outlay as much as that for the Ebony I got. It does look like it is flat, but it is hard to tell of course what exactly is going on without trying it. But it does look like it might fit, unless the raised area on the back of the Chamonix adapter interferes with the interior portion of the Ebony. Hopefully someone who has one could confirm, otherwise I will just have to wait and see. Thank you for the reference to the Phillips cameras. I had not realized they had the same issue, though it does make sense since the Chamonix is based on his design.

Ebony 8x10 cameras use Sinar boards.
    Henry Valtonen, Helsinki
    -----------------------
    8x10" landscapes

Thank you Henry. I realize that. This question is about whether a particular Sinar to Linhof adapter will fit. Sinar boards fit in the Chamonix, and this adapter fits in the Chamonix, but the adapter does not fit in a Sinar P2 or Horseman. The wooden cameras use a slightly different mounting surface that accepts Sinar boards, but it does not always work the other way around. Sorry if that explanation is confusing.