Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Sexton - Kenny Rogers

Re: John Sexton - Kenny Rogers

Thank you for your comments John. Interesting about "Sextonizeing" the Linhof. Sounds like you got the idea for the Master Technika 2000/3000 independent of Linhof. As I recall you now use the MT 2000 modified with the 3000's 4 notch struts. Believe I learned that from Bob on this forum. My apologies if any of this is mistaken. And thank you for the video on tripods. I need to re-examine my irrational bias against center posts.

And count me as a Kenny Rogers fan. "The Gambler" is a fine song but I think my favorite is his duet with Dolly Parton of "Islands In the Stream." Unfortunately I never got to see him in concert.

David

I thoroughly enjoyed this video! Thank you for posting it, Bernice. And thank you, John! I think I would love it if my wife gave me the same for my birthday!

I did make it down to the Booth Museum this weekend to see the Kenny Rogers exhibit. Overall, it was a positive experience. The strength of most of his images was clear to see, although there are a few that didn't ring my bell. White House Ruins is an example of that. He simply found Ansel's tripod holes and waited for the light to be the same. Very fine image, but a clear case of plagiarism. IMO. My biggest disappointment was this. After going over Kenny's book "America" pretty thoroughly before heading down, I was excited about the comments from Sexton and Karsh about Kenny's outstanding print-making skills. We'll never know. Every image there was a computer-enhanced pigment print. They were GOOD pigment prints...but still...not hand made silver prints. For me, that was a disappointment. Another thing that struck me as odd was by the time I got to the end of the exhibit, I felt as if I'd spend the last hour looking up at them. My neck hurt. I think the museum may have positioned them just a trifle higher than optimum. And since I'm 6'3" tall, I imagine it's even worse for many people.

On the positive side, the images were grouped very nicely and was kind of like walking through a performance rather than examining a series of pictures. One image led to the other very nicely. And all his portraits of celebrities were grouped together on the short wall of the room. Lighting was perfect, so glare was not an issue. It's definitely worth your while to visit the show if you are in the area. Just don't expect original prints.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Gotta wonder why the pigment prints instead of original silver gelatin prints? This adds a layer of interpretation away from the original prints.

What would Kenny Rodgers think of this presentation?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kenny Rodgers sig 1988.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	228608

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    IMO. My biggest disappointment was this. After going over Kenny's book "America" pretty thoroughly before heading down, I was excited about the comments from Sexton and Karsh about Kenny's outstanding print-making skills. We'll never know. Every image there was a computer-enhanced pigment print. They were GOOD pigment prints...but still...not hand made silver prints. For me, that was a disappointment. Another thing that struck me as odd was by the time I got to the end of the exhibit, I felt as if I'd spend the last hour looking up at them. My neck hurt. I think the museum may have positioned them just a trifle higher than optimum. And since I'm 6'3" tall, I imagine it's even worse for many people.