Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Sexton - Kenny Rogers

John Sexton - Kenny Rogers

Happened across this video (from the John Sexton post on tripods) about John Sexton & Kenny Rogers, surprised.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iglWJ969GzQ

Known about Kenny Rogers as a Photographer since the 90's and his connection with John Sexton. This video fills in some of the info gaps of their relationship over those years. Kenny Rodgers first foto book was Kenny Rodger's America:
    https://www.amazon.com/Kenny-Rogers-.../dp/0316754196

Kenny Rodger's second book (like this one) Your Friends and Mine:
    https://www.amazon.com/Your-Friends-.../dp/0316754218

was better in ways, but challenged Kenny's abilities in every way. The portraits began strong in the first pages then became less towards the end of this book.
    Kenny began portraits using a 4x5 (Sinar F in this foto)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kenny Rodgers & Sinar F, Studio.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	228189

Then on to 8x10 for the portraits in "your friends and mine".. Notable words from this book, Kenny noted the difficulties of moving from 4x5 to 8x10.

Good to see Kenny Rodgers in this "light",
    Bernice

Re: John Sexton - Kenny Rogers

I had forgotten about Kenny's love for photography and his work. Thanks for the post and video

Kenny was using an old Super Technika IV when one day, just after he sold his ranch in GA, I got a call from John that Kenny needed to buy a used Folding Focus Hood for that old Technika.
    I berated John that he should convince Kenny that he should be able to finally afford a Master Technika.

I've seen some of Kenny's photographs, and I intend to make a trip down to Georgia to view this exhibition. Many "celebrities" have been very fine photographers. Barry Goldwater was a 5-term Senator from Arizona who ran against Lyndon Johnson in 1964. He was also an amazing photographer. I used to work for the State of Arizona in the Capitol building and his prints were on exhibit all over the place. You can check out his work here.

https://www.azcentral.com/picture-ga...water/7459831/
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Drew Wiley

There was an old View Camera Mag on this too. Celebrities get attention; but I wasn't otherwise impressed. He probably found some personal space or calm this way, just like all of us.

Barry Goldwater was a frequent contributor to Arizona Highways magazine as well as the more readable but less glitzy Desert magazine, and made numerous trips down the Colorado and especially Glen Canyon before it was dammed. I think he regretted voting for that project.

Memorial for Kenny Rodgers..
    https://oaklandcemetery.com/resident...-kenny-rogers/

Bernice

Hi Bob - Hope all's well with you. Kenny did indeed get a Master Technika. The timing is a little different than you recall. (Heck it was a LONG time ago!). The image above showing Kenny in his studio with his Sinar-F is a 'happy snap' I made during a special private darkroom workshop I did with Kenny - days before Christmas 1984. My workshop was Kenny's Christmas gift from Kenny's wife at the time Marianne!

He used that same camera along with his Hasselblad, on our first photographic outing together a few weeks later. That was really Kenny's first experience using a large format camera in a landscape situation. We photographed in the snow-covered mountains of the Pacific Northwest. Kenny really enjoyed using the 4x5 in the landscape.When we returned to his home in Beverly Hills we contacted Norma Smith at Samy's camera in L.A. (Kenny purchased nearly all of his photographic equipment and supplies at Samy's). Norma had a clean used Linhof Technika IV as you mentioned, so Kenny purchased that camera. He was still deciding if this 4x5 landscape photography was something he was interested in long-term. We photographed in the deserts of Arizona a couple of weeks after that. He also used the Technika IV on our first trip to his farm in Georgia together. That's likely when I contacted you about the folding focus hood for his Technika IV. It was missing from the used camera when he purchased it.

My communications show that on April 19 I FedEx'ed Kenny a brand new Linhof Master Technika that I had purchased for Kenny (at his request, and with his $$$) from Norma at Samy's. She sent it to me, so I could 'Sextonize' the camera. You likely recall that I always removed the rangefinder, cams, etc. and added an aluminum plate to the side of the camera where the rangefinder had been. I also added a different level, and a few other little 'tweaks.' Kenny sold, or traded, the Technika IV a few months later. At some point a few years later Kenny purchased another Master Technika. I can't recall if he damaged his first one, or what happened. I believe over the years, Kenny owned a total of three different 4x4 Linhof Master Technikas.

If you want to waste fifteen minutes of our life, you can watch my video presentation linked above. It will go into greater details. Including my giving Kenny a view camera movements demonstration beneath the seats at one of his concerts - as Dolly Parton was on stage performing!

There's also more back-story in my most recent eNewsletter - which just went out. You can find it, and subscribe if you desire, on my web site. http://www.johnsexton.com
    John Sexton

www.johnsexton.com

info(at)johnsexton.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Sexton View Post
    Hi Bob - Hope all's well with you. Kenny did indeed get a Master Technika. The timing is a little different than you recall. (Heck it was a LONG time ago!). The image above showing Kenny in his studio with his Sinar-F is a 'happy snap' I made during a special private darkroom workshop I did with Kenny - days before Christmas 1984. My workshop was Kenny's Christmas gift from Kenny's wife at the time Marianne!

He used that same camera along with his Hasselblad, on our first photographic outing together a few weeks later. That was really Kenny's first experience using a large format camera in a landscape situation. We photographed in the snow-covered mountains of the Pacific Northwest. Kenny really enjoyed using the 4x5 in the landscape.When we returned to his home in Beverly Hills we contacted Norma Smith at Samy's camera in L.A. (Kenny purchased nearly all of his photographic equipment and supplies at Samy's). Norma had a clean used Linhof Technika IV as you mentioned, so Kenny purchased that camera. He was still deciding if this 4x5 landscape photography was something he was interested in long-term. We photographed in the deserts of Arizona a couple of weeks after that. He also used the Technika IV on our first trip to his farm in Georgia together. That's likely when I contacted you about the folding focus hood for his Technika IV. It was missing from the used camera when he purchased it.

My communications show that on April 19 I FedEx'ed Kenny a brand new Linhof Master Technika that I had purchased for Kenny (at his request, and with his $$$) from Norma at Samy's. She sent it to me, so I could 'Sextonize' the camera. You likely recall that I always removed the rangefinder, cams, etc. and added an aluminum plate to the side of the camera where the rangefinder had been. I also added a different level, and a few other little 'tweaks.' Kenny sold, or traded, the Technika IV a few months later. At some point a few years later Kenny purchased another Master Technika. I can't recall if he damaged his first one, or what happened. I believe over the years, Kenny owned a total of three different 4x4 Linhof Master Technikas.

If you want to waste fifteen minutes of our life, you can watch my video presentation linked above. It will go into greater details. Including my giving Kenny a view camera movements demonstration beneath the seats at one of his concerts - as Dolly Parton was on stage performing!

There's also more back-story in my most recent eNewsletter - which just went out. You can find it, and subscribe if you desire, on my web site. http://www.johnsexton.com
    John,
    Thanks for the clarification, and give Anne my best!

John,

Great story! The link to your site didn't work for me. I get a "404 Not Found" error. I tried Chrome and Firefox.
    Last edited by Peter De Smidt; 17-Jun-2022 at 06:17.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Peter - thanks for your kind words. The link is working properly on my computer, and also iPhone. Anyway, my web site address is: www.johnsexton.com. Good luck!
    John Sexton

www.johnsexton.com

info(at)johnsexton.com