Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ilford Film Airports

Ilford Film Airports

Tin Can

Re: Ilford Film Airports

Thanks for this link
    it will become complicated to make your films travel...

To my experience inspection by hand for cabin baggage avoiding x ray scan is nonexistant in European airports.
    Few weeks ago x ray scanning resulted moderate base fog on 120 Ilford Delta 100 (round flight Kaunas, Lithuania - Alesund Norway).
    I was really surprised to see it on fresh film, processed in Xtol 1:1.

I wonder if one of those lead-lined film bags will help? I used one while traveling in China - they x-ray your bags before getting on nearly any public transport in the cities. Maybe going thru once will be OK, but getting x-rayed a dozen times while traveling around Shanghai got me a little worried. My scissors for cutting roll film got confiscated. LOL

Samey-samey from Kodak Alaris. Downloadable warning labels here: https://imaging.kodakalaris.com/photographers/resources .

Does anyone know if shipping film to your destination is at this point a way to avoid x-ray scanning? There doesn't appear be a problem with retailers shipping film, at least not domestically in the US.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by martiansea View Post
    I wonder if one of those lead-lined film bags will help? I used one while traveling in China - they x-ray your bags before getting on nearly any public transport in the cities. Maybe going thru once will be OK, but getting x-rayed a dozen times while traveling around Shanghai got me a little worried. My scissors for cutting roll film got confiscated. LOL

What I've heard is they just turn up the power until they can see in.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    What I've heard is they just turn up the power until they can see in.
    Or conclude that it's an attempt to prevent them from doing their job
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Does anyone know if shipping film to your destination is at this point a way to avoid x-ray scanning? There doesn't appear be a problem with retailers shipping film, at least not domestically in the US.
    My local post office says everything going out of major cities gets x-rayed. They said there is no way around it, and no such thing as a hand check request or similar that you have at US airports. They also told me the "do not x-ray" labels would flag the package as suspicious and result in closer inspection, potentially involving more powerful x-raying. Not sure how this increasingly common practice is going to impact all the mail service labs, since most of us do not have a local lab that does e-6, its a real problem.
    Last edited by Graeme Hamilton; 30-Jun-2022 at 05:18. Reason: Capitalize US

A similar topic is going on over on the Location and Travel section. Here's what I recently shared over there...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sh View Post
    I recently returned from a family trip to France (June, 2022). I took four sheets of Ilford FP4+ in 4x5 (3 exposed, 1 unexposed) and ran a 'scanner fogging test' on our return flights. All four sheets were in a TMAX-100 nested box and bagged in the Ilford bag within the nested boxes. Outbound, both flights were US in origin, only went through security once - TSA readily accepted a hand check request. Return flights; Charles de Gaulle (CDG) and Heathrow - went through security at each airport.

At CDG, there was no way they were going to do a hand inspection - at least that was the impression they gave me when I asked if they'd hand-inspect the disposable camera my daughter had taken on the trip. Granted, I'm not fluent in French, but I did give an honest effort to make the request in French. At Heathrow, had I pressed, they seemed like they would have done a hand inspection. One of the inspectors at Heathrow even went to a supervisor to ask what film speed was safe to run through the scanner - he was told 800 and below. I'm not up to speed on the scanner technology, but these appeared to be a newer variety, presuming they were CT scanners at both airports.

I've developed and scanned two of the negatives; the blank/unexposed negative and the one attached. I can't see any discernible fogging/impact on the negative that would leave me to believe it was a result of being run through the scanners. The unexposed sheet looks consistency black, albeit with what looks like some dust and residual water marks during drying. Note to self; do a better job at removing the water when hanging the negatives up to dry.

Attachment 228568