Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to get better at 8x10 scanning, send me your tips!

I want to get better at 8x10 scanning, send me your tips!

Hi guys,
    Tips! No, not yer dimes and quarters! ha. I usually do quicky scans cause I don't have time and I say to myself "myself, you ugly and you need to do these scans later on like you said you would".

So now, I'm still ugly, and I want to redo some scans.

I have found an 8x10 ANR glass in my stash of things, I know right! Why haven't I used it before. Ummm, no lie, I am lazier than an English Bulldog in 90 degree weather.

My equipment:
    Epson V700
    I got's me a new Windows 11 Computer!! yeah me!
    I have the wet scanning stuff for smaller format and 4x5's.
    I found my old Vuescan serial number
    I also have the Epson scan software
    I also got a brand spanking new printer that has like 10 bottles of ink, so I really want to start printing these scans. That's another learning curve I have.
    Is Silverfast still around? People using those?
    DPI for printing?
    Can I actually use my ANR for 8x10 wet scanning?

What I find when I do high DPI scanning is some newton rings, and when I open the lid, I realized the film started curling cause it takes forever.

Do you guys tape your negs to the glass? I'll probably start using my ANR glass.

Any tips are good tips! I've learned so much from you guys like the one time someone said "use surgery sutures to hang negatives". Whoever said that thanks, that's one of the best tips I got here.
    --

Re: I want to get better at 8x10 scanning, send me your tips!

I've never used ANR glass for 8x10 scanning, but I've found with other applications that you can see the pattern of the "etching", if you look closely. Funny, too, that I've also still had Newton's Rings on occasion. For 8x10, I wet mount directly to the glass bed of my scanner. I squirt some Kami fluid onto the glass, carefully lay the negative down (emulsion side up) trying to avoid air bells as much as possible, another squirt of Kami fluid, then I carefully lay a sheet of scanner overlay film over the negative (again, trying to avoid air bells.) The final step is to use a rubber roller from the center to the edges to remove any remaining bubbles. Wipe up any excess fluid from the edges.

I probably should mention, too, that I've applied gaffer's tape all around the edges of the bed glass to avoid any fluid from getting under the glass and/or into the scanner. Been working this way for 20+ years and never had any issues (faint knock-on wood here.)

Scanner software is really a personal preference, IMO. I've used Epson scan and Vuescan, but Silverfast Ai (and the Studio version) has been my choice for 20+ years. This software certainly has a rather steep learning curve, and their support is nearly non-existent but the power and options available once you master it is unmatched, again, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post

I probably should mention, too, that I've applied gaffer's tape all around the edges of the bed glass to avoid any fluid from getting under the glass and/or into the scanner. Been working this way for 20+ years and never had any issues (faint knock-on wood here.)
    Them's the types of tips I'm looking for! Those little tidbits. Will try that! I just looked at my ANR glass and it seems to be ANR or both sides. Not even sure where I got that.

Scanner software is really a personal preference, IMO. I've used Epson scan and Vuescan, but Silverfast Ai (and the Studio version) has been my choice for 20+ years. This software certainly has a rather steep learning curve, and their support is nearly non-existent but the power and options available once you master it is unmatched, again, IMO.
    I don't mind the Epsons scan software.
    Would like to try out other stuff as well, so I can have a digital workflow and a print workflow. Excited for this printer. I can actually "hold" a print again!
    --

How do you guys keep the dust away on flatbeds in between laying down the neg and closing the lid? Its like I blink and there's a million dust particles.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    How do you guys keep the dust away on flatbeds in between laying down the neg and closing the lid? Its like I blink and there's a million dust particles.
    I run an air purifier with HEPA filter for 30min with the door closed before start scanning, and it runs through the scanning session.

Dust is ALWAYS an issue with film scanning! Before a scanning session, I clean around the scanner area, clean the glass bed of the scanner, and use a Rocket Blower to help remove any dust/particles. One advantage of wet scanning is that dust specs are generally minimized, though it still can be an issue. I guess my feeling is that dust comes with the territory so we work to minimize how much time we need to spend with the spot healing brush!

I'll bring my old air filter up. I think it's a one sided battle with a 10x10 foot room and a small air purifier!

I'll do a test of wet scans this weekend. Would painter's tape work in lieu of gaffer's tape? I recently looked to see how much they cost and I can fill up my car up with gas with what a roll of tape costs (j/k, not that much but dang).
    --

Yes. I've used painters tape...you just have to change it more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Yes. I've used painters tape...you just have to change it more often.
    right on, good tip!
    --

Tip 1. Call Micheal Streeter and order an IQSmart scanner.

That's the only tip. An IQSmart2 even will blow away an Epson, keep up with most drum scans, and make your life crazy easy. We are using an Eversmart Supreme II at the lab and it's just bonkers easy to scan sheet film to extreme levels of quality. We're scanning all negative film as a positive and converting with Negative Lab Pro.