Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “Tripods for Bipods” (John Sexton new tech tip video)

Drew Wiley

Re: “Tripods for Bipods” (John Sexton new tech tip video)

Sounds like he's seen it all. I once stumbled onto him doing a workshop, and he privately expressed his exasperation with some of his students who showed up with absurdly expensive equipment, yet zero hands-on experience yet - gear right out of the box, literally. And I remember an incident where I had to nearly leap to rescue a new 8x10 camera and hyper-expensive lens from crashing on the ground due to a totally untenable tripod setup by a beginner. So that it a good topic to start with.

Reminds me of a long day on the trail, or actually off trail, and finally reaching the trail and a small lake where a horse packer had led a group of beginning fly fishermen for the day. I laid back on a log, just like the packer himself, for couple hours of utter amusement. They caught everything but a fish - logs, each other, hats, their own butts. Once in awhile the line actually landed in the lake. Learn the basics first.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Does anyone know if the Gitzo center-column level in John’s video will fit the old 1227 MkII? I've also sent this question to Gitzo.
    Last edited by Steve Goldstein; 18-Jun-2022 at 16:09.

I carry a studio Saltzman tripod and head. I also do bench presses and squats with it (with my camera on it!). I haul that thing in my Hummer H1.
    I kid you not, I once, in my younger studio assisting days, had to pick up a studio saltzman that looked like it was embedded in concrete or something like that. We had 3 guys, we had to call for a 4th guy to help carry it.

Seriously though, I want to start saving my pennies after I pay for gas (no not gear gas but like varoom varoom clutch shift varoom), for a carbon fiber big 'nuf for my Kodak MV. I'm wondering if that combo may be to top heavy? I do like the thread about the golf bag, gonna look into it next time I'm at goodwill.

Also, John Sexton has a very calming voice. I had no idea!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    ... Also, John Sexton has a very calming voice. I had no idea!
    It was a bit monotonous for me. I had to play the video a 125% speed before it even sounded normal, and it was still soporific. I think they must have inadvertently slowed it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Went backpacking last week with the 4x5 (Gowland PocketView). Took the Bogen pod to save a couple pounds. I survived, but having a pod that is too short was a drag.
    I actually have a 8x10 Gowland (not-so PocketView). It's very light, the problem is the 8x10 film holders really add up in weight fast. Not to mention the lenses are heavier (although there are many lightweight options still). I wish there was a viable Grafmatic-like option for 8x10.

My 11x14 is lighter than my 8x10. I use the same pod and head with both, and the same lenses -- but the holders make it a different story!

Doremus -- I could not watch it for the same reason. Don't think we were the target audience by a few decades...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

It could be that Mr. Sexton has considered that many of his watchers do not speak English as their first language.
    Speaking slowly and clearly never hurts with comprehension... it wouldn't help if his delivery was that of a NYC comedian in a nightclub.
    Cut the guy some slack. Apart from his photographic accomplishments, he's been a successful teacher for a long time.

Drew Wiley

Different audience. Most of us already have our battle scars from learning things the hard way, and certainly plenty of scars and old war wounds on our tripods! A Ries isn't a Ries without some honorable scars. I accidentally dropped one off a 300 ft cliff once and split a leg. They replaced the leg section for free, even though I told them up front it was my own fault.

Even my ole Gitzo original Reporter 3-ply CF is still going strong after decades of rough use. I modified it somewhat when new, including permanently removing the center column. Their current equivalent model is slightly lighter in weight due to thinner 2-ply CF; but I've seen one of those break in pieces on a short fall. Going 2-ply to reduce weight also drowned a crew member of an America's Cup Team when a mast broke and pinned him under the sail in the water. Talked to him just two days before when he brought me samples of all the kinds of CF material they had available. I sold them most of their fabrication equipment and supplies, but not any CF itself. Much of that was entirely custom and even Kevlar reinforced. But a simple dent or gouge on 2-ply risks it snapping, despite incredible tensile strength. Tripods are no different, except are even weaker.

The local camera store has a huge tripod selection; but every single one of them I'd classify as "toy" goods. Once in awhile something serious shows up in the Used dept.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Cut the guy some slack. Apart from his photographic accomplishments, he's been a successful teacher for a long time.
    Cut us some slack, please. We are complimenting him on knowing his audience. A sign of a experienced and competent teacher.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Especially when trying to break some bad, well-established habits...spelling things out really slowly and clearly certainly helps!