Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “Tripods for Bipods” (John Sexton new tech tip video)

“Tripods for Bipods” (John Sexton new tech tip video)

David Schaller

Re: “Tripods for Bipods” (John Sexton new tech tip video)

Nice. Thanks for posting.

Another take on setting up a tripod, Surveyor Style.. Foto folks can apply many of the same basics of setting up a Surveyor tripod with a Foto tripod.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C78SuqmLPDE

Appears for many fixed lens, box based camera folks there persist an allergy to using a tripod mixed with the desire for lowest weight, smallest size and least "in their way" tripod which often results in a tripod that is unstable, vibration sensitive and all those image quality problems an iffy tripod produces.

Remain un-convinced saving a few pounds (carbon fiber is about 30% less than aluminium, with both being no where near as abuse tolerant as high quality wood) is worthwhile in the overall weight/size bulk of the LF view camera system.

Bernice

Until more or less recently...I, too, preached the gospel of overall weight - that in the scheme of things, a few extra pounds would be more than justified if this meant that the overall experience, and/or the chances of getting "better" results could be improved by accepting a heavier load. Indeed this line of thinking fit into what would have been my own advertising scenario were my Layton L-45A camera (which weighs 7.25lbs) to have entered the marketplace.

While I still believe the above generally...I must admit that as my bones grow noticeably wearier there are now times when weight can be the absolute determinate as to whether I even choose to have my gear with me. These days, if I plan to walk any distance (especially with significant elevation gains) with an LF camera, I find myself reaching for my 4x5 Gowland Pocket-View, and my Feisol "Tall Traveller" tripod. Not ideal by any means...but with practice a decent work around.

As for John Sexton's video - he communicates the foundational knowledge perfectly...and while to some he may seem a bit ponderous and repetitive...he knows (as do most good instructors) that bad habits can be hard to break...much less to even notice!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    While I still believe the above generally...I must admit that as my bones grow noticeably wearier there are now times when weight can be the absolute determinate as to whether I even choose to have my gear with me. These days, if I plan to walk any distance (especially with significant elevation gains) with an LF camera, I find myself reaching for my 4x5 Gowland Pocket-View, and my Feisol "Tall Traveller" tripod. Not ideal by any means...but with practice a decent work around.
    Same here, John, except mine is a Toho FC-45X and a different albeit similar flyweight tripod. I always figure it's better to be out there with something vs not!

Went backpacking last week with the 4x5 (Gowland PocketView). Took the Bogen pod to save a couple pounds. I survived, but having a pod that is too short was a drag.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

But...if you're tripod's too short - can't you just lift it up and hold it really still

Some of the workshop notes about how foto folks relate and use their tripods is just wozzers... Question is, where did these tripod habits and ways come from?

Speaking of tripods, just ordered a Berlebach wood tripod for the Linhof TK23s. Tired of using the decades old Bogen 3021 that has seen younger days. No center column, Gitzo G1270 Pan Tilt, Low Profile Tripod Head gets moved over once the Berlebach tripod arrives. Weight difference between the Berlebach -vs- Bogen is not significant enough. All this is related to achieving a lower weight and smaller view camera package. 6x9 or 6x7 via 120 roll film negates the need for sheet film holders which is weight/bulk added per sheet film holder. Lenses in shutter on Technika boards are smaller/less weight (47mm or 65mm, 127mm, 203mm, 300mm or 360mm/500mm) than lenses on Sinar boards (105mm or 115mm/120-125mm, 210mm-250mm, 300mm/12",450mm/500mm_Sinar shutter). The other bits are some what similar, light meter, dark cloth (plan to make a smaller one specific to the TK32s) loupe, and ...

Overall, the linhof TK23s outfit is lower weight/smaller than the 5x7 Sinar Norma with the modified Dutch Hill surveyor's tripod with Sinar pan/tilt head by maybe 10 pounds. Film is easier to manage with 120 roll film compared to sheet film. The Linhof TK23s became the only option as it is the only monorail of it's variety. Given the way any view camera is used and images to be made, tolerance for a field folder is nil. At some point, the hope and idea is to go back to using the 5x7 Norma & Dutch Hill outfit as recovered abilities allow.

The importance of a GOOD tripod properly and fully used is often un-appreciated by those new to this LF view camera stuff.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    But...if you're tripod's too short - can't you just lift it up and hold it really still
    I had forgotten my sky-hooks. My arms get tired and start to shake if I have to hold all that weight up.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Overall, the linhof TK23s outfit is lower weight/smaller than the 5x7 Sinar Norma with the modified Dutch Hill surveyor's tripod with Sinar pan/tilt head by maybe 10 pounds.
    Don't see this tripod name appear very often. I have a Dutch Hill with a Gitzo G1570M head on it that I've used for many, many years for 8x10. Not as sturdy as my Ries A100, IMO, but certainly easier to move around.