Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: building a copy/digitizing stand out of Sinar parts

building a copy/digitizing stand out of Sinar parts

Is that crazy? I was looking at copy stands, and the one thing I really can't tell online is how rigid a ~$500 stand is. I like to think it would be ok, but rigidity is one of the most critical features, adjustability, is the other big one. It occurred to me with the table clamp that Sinar made, an 18" + 12" extension, a P2 rear standard, and a camera mount to attach a DSLR to the standard, I should have a fairly rigid, and very adjustable rig for DSLR scanning. I especially like the idea of being able to fix any small keystoning caused by misalignment by using the tilt and swing adjustments on the standard. Currently I've done those fixes digitally, but doing it in camera seems a better idea.

On the other hand, I'll end up spending more than $500 on the pieces I don't already have. Has anyone used Sinar parts to build a digitization workstation?

Drew Wiley

Re: building a copy/digitizing stand out of Sinar parts

That should be easy to do. But you'll need some extra support to the rail section column, ideally with more than one rail clamp. I've done it in the past, though now have a deluxe copystand integrated into a Durst L184 chassis.

Something to think about: https://petapixel.com/2022/06/11/how...Ub5049JMYqdtFw

I have lots of Sinar parts....What you'd want to do it get the copy stand rail... But.....This isn't really what these parts were meant for. It wouldn't be that hard to make something more stable and easier to align. I've done it a couple of times. If I can do it, you can too.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Drew Wiley

Slot track systems aren't really all that precise, convenient, or stable unless you dramatically up the price to serious liner motion components and their own kind of gear options. If slightly large prints need to be copied, up to 20X24 or so, take a look at Glennview's site and a L138 Durst chassis conversion. Even the venerable old Bencher copystands were flimsy sloppy toys compared to that kind of option. I should know, since I started out with the largest Bencher system to begin with, long ago, and had to seriously alter and reinforce even that to make it truly practical. And decent L138 chasis do sometimes turn up minus a head at reasonable pricing. Takes a bit of patience and luck, however.
    Decent copystand lighting is a somewhat more involved topic, and I wouldn't take it for granted, especially given recent options.

Sinar Norma 8x10 Overhead Reflex Rig by Nokton48, on Flickr

Made with all original Norma parts obtained cheaply. It's solid enough, no issues, supports my 8x10 Norma, so it will support a P Rear Standard no problem. I leave this camera set up. I screwed together two sheets of 1/4" good quality and it's more solid base with the Norma Clamp. I tried two rail clamps, but ended up going back to one. Easy to adapt to your situation. Really not much to not like about this setup, if I didn't like it, I would take it down. I also use the modern Sinar attachment that allows attachment of smaller cameras, like my Makiflexes. I have a lot of FOBA grip stuff and lots of lighting too.

I had the biggest Bencher and that ended up in the trash. Didn't hold up well over time. Norma is fine for what it is. I'd buy a complete P camera (very undervalued), and then convert the rear to the smaller format, the microdrives in the P Standard would be useful to support a digital camera. Do you have a Sinar Pan Tilt Head?
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    What you'd want to do it get the copy stand rail
    When you say copy stand rail, do you mean the 36" base rail? I've never actually seen one, plus from what I can tell, they are base rails, and the table clamp looks like it only accepts extensions:

I'm also not really capable of much in the way of DIY. My tests so far are with a not terribly stable Pentax copipod, and that is around 18 inches high, so an 18 inch extension is probably enough, but if not, I have several 6 and 12 inch extensions. This would be used most with 4x5 but also some 5x7 and 8x10, but nothing larger, so I don't need significant height. I can see the benefit to rigidity of clamping the top of the rail to a wall, but I don't think that in the cards at at the moment, and the copy stands at B&H don't have anything like that either. Probably my biggest concern is how rigid that clamp above will be.

Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    When you say copy stand rail, do you mean the 36" base rail? I've never actually seen one, plus from what I can tell, they are base rails, and the table clamp looks like it only accepts extensions:

I'm also not really capable of much in the way of DIY. My tests so far are with a not terribly stable Pentax copipod, and that is around 18 inches high, so an 18 inch extension is probably enough, but if not, I have several 6 and 12 inch extensions. This would be used most with 4x5 but also some 5x7 and 8x10, but nothing larger, so I don't need significant height. I can see the benefit to rigidity of clamping the top of the rail to a wall, but I don't think that in the cards at at the moment, and the copy stands at B&H don't have anything like that either. Probably my biggest concern is how rigid that clamp above will be.
    Sorry. I mean the piece that you're showing with an added extension rail.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Speaking as someone who's done a lot of work on digital camera scanning.....the stability and alignment needs for scanning are much higher than for traditional copy stand work.

yeah, I've had great luck with 35mm because there is an easy turnkey solution--a macro bellows with slide copy attachment. This is a little more challenging. I get from Daniel's photos above that the Sinar setup should be able to hold some weight! Way more than my little Pentax K-1ii. But I get that sensoe size (8x10 vs 24x36mm) has a big impact, as may other issues like the Bayer filter array. The table clamps on eBay were ~$200-250, but a cheap one just popped up so I bought it. I think I'll test this piecemeal. I have a P2 so I can borrow a standard. All I'll need is a cheap camera maount. Then if I get decent results, I can invest in the other pieces, and maybe something to clamp from the top to add rigidity if needed.