Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FP4+ in Pyrocat HD

FP4+ in Pyrocat HD

I have been developing my FP4+ in Pyrocat HD and I just feel like my negatives are a little thin. Not a lot thin, but just a bit. I am developing using the Massive Dev recommended time of 9 minutes for FP4+ rated at ISO 100.

Do I need to rate the film at ISO 80? Should I increase development time?

I know, you will tell me to go do experiments.... I'm looking for an easy answer! HAHA!

Thanks for any help.

Re: FP4+ in Pyrocat HD

FWIW, I develop in trays and my usual time is 10.5 minutes @ 68F. I can (but often don't) process 12 sheets of 4x5 in an 8x10 tray with 2L of Pyrocat-HD.
    That said, if your shadows seem too deep, without tonal separation, you need more exposure. If your high values are too gray, and you higher contrast paper for bright high values, try increasing your development.
    I find that FP4+ in Pyrocat-HD is an excellent combination, and well worth perfecting. Best of luck!

Drew Wiley

I always rate it at 50 unless it's a low-contrast scene with surplus exposure latitude, and do 10 min development.

David Schaller

I rate FP4 at 100, and my N development is 11 minutes at 70F, in the 1:1:100 dilution, with agitation for one minute initially, and 10 seconds every minute afterwards, in trays. With roll films, I agitate less, maybe 15 seconds at first then 5 seconds every minute. These are for scanning and silver printing. For alt processes, maybe develop longer or at higher concentrations.

I'll jump in. I have been using FP-4in Pyrocat since Sandy King came up with the formula way back in the last century. I rate FP-4 at 100 and develop 1:1:100 for about 9 minutes at 72F in BTZS tubes. I scan only

You really need to test for yourself and your process. It's not hard, just a few sheets and a bit of trial and error should do it.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

I use 1:1:100 and 10 minutes with FP4+ at iso 100. You shouldn't need to lower your film speed with pyrocat hd/hdc.
    1 minute of continuous agitation at the start, then 10s every minute in Combiplan tanks.

Thanks all for your insights. I've been using Pyrocat HD 2+2+100 and rating FP4+ at ISO 100. My development time for this most recent batch was 9 minutes although Massive Dev will say only 6 minutes at that concentration.... I use gentle continuous rotation in a Jobo Drum. Will try a couple of experiments. Appreciate you pointing me at some solutions.

It is interesting that no one so far has mentioned PRINTS!
    After all, they are usually our goal. No matter how your negatives look, make prints and see what pleases you.

With the Heiland LED VC head (Zone 6 series 2 enlarger) being so bright - I tend to rate FP4+ at about half box speed - and process for 10-12 minutes at 70 F with 1:1:100 Pyrocat - in 6 individual 5x7 trays set into a 20x24 tray. Works for me.

My printing process is normally Palladium. I am however, going to do some contact prints on AZO papers.