My new (very old) Sinar P2 front bearer misses the depth of field scale barrel and fine focusing knob. I have a Sinar X rear bearer that has both the dof scale barrel and fine focus knob. I'd like to remove it from the X and install it on the P2 bearer.

This is the P2 bearer with the knob missing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4680.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	228068

This is the X bearer with the knob that I'd like to move to the P2 bearer:

Name:	IMG_4682.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	228069

A kind member of these forums has provided me a copy of Sinar's service manual. This is a cutaway drawing from the manual of the P2's focusing knob :

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-12 at 18.18.31.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	228075

It looks like the knob and the depth of field scale are kept in place by a "taper pin" inside the gear spindle. When looking at the knobs from the outside there is a round covering plate that sits over and hides the taper pin from view. On the P2 bearers these blanking discs are bare aluminium coloured. On the X bearer they are black.

Amazingly, the "circular letter VZ 286" was included in the documentation I received from the aforementioned member...

There is an exploded view showing the parts of the focusing knob and related parts:

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-12 at 18.04.29.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	228074

Strangely, when looking at the knob on the X bearer I can't figure out how to remove it. Can it be done from the outside, or it is necessary to disassemble much more? Is it possible to take out the blanking disc?

Is this knob replacement something that a person inexperienced in the mechanical aspects of Sinar cameras such as myself could attempt without much risk of ending up worse-off than I am now? Or should I look for someone who is both still alive and an experienced Sinar mechanic?

If you know anything about this, your guidance would be much appreciated.