Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bergger pancro 400 in bergspeed: Unseen base fog

Bergger pancro 400 in bergspeed: Unseen base fog

I just tested a new to me B&W film, the Bergger Pancro 400 in 120 roll, twice actually...
    The developer was the Bergger Berspeed and I used it as prescribed: prewash, dilute 1+1, 8 min @ 24°C with the advised agitation and finish as usual.

The 5 litre stock dilution was mixed two days before, in demineralised water, while carefully respecting the imposed steps, left it stand in amber bottles so it could 'acclimatise' a bit, anyway it should keep for 4 months.

The first test came out wel developed but showing a very dense and 'ugly' base fog.
    As I am far of being perfect and commit mistakes regularly, I tested again, carefully paying attention.
    Alas, the same 'ugly' and too dense base fog came out.
    I held the lead-in of the film against a 0.3 ND filter, I use these in the enlarger to lengthen the exposure times so to have the time for carefully dodging and burning (*), and the film's base looked even a tad denser.

The film isn't expired, and was bought a week before and kept (by me) at room temperature.

In the 48 years of darkroom practice, I have never seen this dense (and ugly) fog on a film exposed and processed at 'box speed', unless I made a mistake...

I haven't printed nor scanned the negatives as these aren't fully dry yet.

Does anybody has an enlightening thought?

(*) printing at F 8 with a Rodagon is sacred to me.

Re: Bergger pancro 400 in bergspeed: Unseen base fog

Pancro 400 has a much greater fog base than most any other modern film. Doesn't matter what you develop it in, its got serious base density. You may find you get less base+fog if you expose at 160 ASA and shorten the development time accordingly. I find it must be overexposed* by at least one stop to record usable shadow information.

Adding a couple drops of 1% benzotriazole to the developer will suppress fog buildup a bit. See my notes on this image

*over box speed.
    Last edited by paulbarden; 12-Jun-2022 at 13:40.

Interesting. High fog density could explain two characteristics I’ve seen people attribute to this film. Namely, (1) coarse granularity, (2) low EI.

I went back and looked at my Pancro 400 negatives and see that it has a consistently dense base as Paul mentioned, and this is regardless of how much I exposed it and what developer I used.
    Though I will say that I got surprisingly good results metering it at ISO1600 and push processing with extended time in Microphen. Shadow details are there in an attractive "gritty" way that is different than the objectionable grain I was often getting when metering at ISO400. But I agree that metering at 200 or lower looks generally the best with this film.

That looks great, Paul. Shots like that are what got me interested in Pancro 400 in the first place, and my initial failures were a big disappointment (120 format with Rodinal...OH DEAR!!! LOL). I've gotten smooth results finally since I've shot thru a box of 4x5 and found some good developers for it (D-23 definitely being one of them, I like it in PMK and Perceptol, as well, in addition to the interesting punchy results with Microphen).
    I'm getting ready to shoot some Pancro 400 in 5x7 format today. I'm going to try metering at around 160 and developing with Divided D-23 as you've suggesting.

Do you know the density of the base + fog? And does the the film base look like Delta 3200 or Rollei RPX 100? I think those films are pre-flashed giving them a B + F density of around 0.35 which is a high value given a film like RPX 25 or Retro 80S have a B + F density around 0.05 or less with the developers I've use with them.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Delta 3200 or Rollei RPX 100? I think those films are pre-flashed
    They aren't. Some modern emulsions may have higher base fog for various very arcane chemical reasons (important interactions between solvent developers and the emulsions to significantly enhance sharpness & modulate highlight density are part of this) - because it's easy enough to print through a bit of base fog.

Sounds a lot like the old Kodak Royal X Pan film. Kodak rated it at 1200 in 4X5. I used some in the 80s and after testing rated at 1200 processed in Diafine. Base fog was very high but it printed well.

It's a pretty weird film. The amount of grain for a modern film is kind of bonkers. I do use it occasionally, sometimes I like the extreme grain in 35mm. Just shoot first and ask questions later IMHO. This is not a film for geeking out.

All the 120 rolls I've seen and shot have backing paper mottling, so be aware.

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    It's a pretty weird film. The amount of grain for a modern film is kind of bonkers.
    I almost threw up the first time I developed a roll of 120 with Rodinal. Couldn't believe how ridiculous the grain was. Only thing worse that I've seen (so far) is the Foma Retropan 320